Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Noisy gear box

Pierre Gillet

Shifting from 2 to 3 at high RPM , especially when the car

(1.6K) is warm, can be a litle bit difficult and noisy. Is there any I can do apart from shifting more slowly? I understand it is not posible to remove the oil to fill it up with a higher spec. one.

Cheers for any recommendation.

Pierre

• Area Representative

I had a similar problem with my 'box recently and on the advice of Phil Stewart of Road and Race Transmissions I drained out the old muck and filled up with Shell Spirax EP80. Shift quality improved 100%. Soooooperb. Well, I say "drained" but that's not strictly true as there's no drain plug. I syphoned mine out with a Clarke oil suction pump device which cost about £8.00 from a mail order company.

Phil recommends this oil as a replacement for the old "Ford Red" that is no longer available - he doesn't rate the current Ford equivelent. He definitely knows his stuff (oops, nearly said onions!) and if I can find it I'll post his number.

Ah, here it is:

Phil Stewart @ road and Race Transmissions: +44 (0) 1959 525105

Bon Chance.

Crudders

• Area Representative

I had a similar problem with my 'box recently and on the advice of Phil Stewart of Road and Race Transmissions I drained out the old muck and filled up with Shell Spirax EP80. Shift quality improved 100%. Soooooperb. Well, I say "drained" but that's not strictly true as there's no drain plug. I syphoned mine out with a Clarke oil suction pump device which cost about £8.00 from a mail order company.

Phil recommends this oil as a replacement for the old "Ford Red" that is no longer available - he doesn't rate the current Ford equivelent. He definitely knows his stuff (oops, nearly said onions!) and if I can find it I'll post his number.

Ah, here it is:

Phil Stewart @ Road and Race Transmissions: +44(0)1959 525105

Bon Chance.

Crudders

Crudders,

Thanks for the advice . In the main time I tried Simon's tip and bought Slick 50. It says that you have to remove the equivalent of used oil before injecting Slick. In doing that with a large syringue of the type used to fill up gear boxes, I noticed that the used oil was not so clear. In fact rather dark. So, your recommendation seems to be right to the point, and the used oil may have to be removed. I'll do that when the Slick treatment effect will be lower. In fact it took me so much energy to 1) cut an Allen key at the right length, 2) syphon the oil and of course the car being no more level being on jacks it is not so easy...

To adjust the level after injecting Slick, I used a BP Synthetic oil 75W-90 as recommended by Caterham as an alternate to the Ford one.

OK I have now the right spec of oil for the next time. To be frank, I hope that Slick will last for long because it is not an easy operation.

Cheers, and Merci beaucoup!

Pierre