Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

type 9 input shaft

Tim V-W

What is the length of the bit that needs to be cut off when fitting a non Caterham Rover K series 1800?

If I've got the measurements right it looks to me that the shaft sticks out 30mm past the face of the bell housing and the crankshaft drilling in the 1800 is about 25mm deep measured to teh faces where the BH bolts up. This suggests that taking say 7mm off the input shaft would be sufficient and 10-12mm plenty. Is this correct?

Can the cutting be done with the gearbox in situ?

Thanks

Tim

Tim, it's a while since I did this, but looking at my drawing/measurements made at the time, I removed 8mm. My measurements were: g/box front face to end of 1st motion shaft = 207mm; depth of spigot drilling in crank shaft = 27mm; first motion shaft protrudes 30mm beyond bell housing; bellhousing depth = 178mm; g/box front face to bottom of crank spigot drilling = 199mm. This resulted in 8mm needing to be removed, and seemed to work OK!

You can do it easily in situ with a cutting disk, just cover everything up esp the fuel lines as there loads of sparks. The metal is quite soft an cuts easily. Dont forget to put a bevel on the end to aid refitting to the engine.

Malcolm