Click here if you are having website access problems ×

emission testing

kevvickers

If the car has a K in the engine number to denote that it was originally bought as a kit, rather than assembled by Caterham, then as I understand it, the only test required for emission is visual.

So if its not smoking like an old diesel.... your home and dry.

JH

Edited by - John Howe on 18 May 2002 13:30:56

I was told by the Caterham dealer in Devon a year or so ago that my car (built from a Kit in 1999 would not need to meet emmisssion regs when the MOT is due (Next week now.

However since then it appears that the DVLA may now be working from a different hymn sheet :-(

A local friend whose car is a month or so older thanmine recently posted this to the SW Se7ens group.

Regards

John Gathard

You lot probably know all about this already but when I read in the MOT handbook some time ago that no home built car needed a catalyst I went ahead and bought a 4/1 competition exhaust, without catalyst of course. I thought it was too good to be true. It was. The b******s have now brought any car that went through the SVA test into the normal testing routine so I failed miserably on the CO emissions test and no amount of fiddling and adjustment by Mike Brend could bring them down. So I have had to put the old exhaust back on again for the test and will probably take it off again afterwards and change it again in 12 months time and so on. A pain in the backside but I'm pretty good at changing exhaust sustems on a K-series now and the change in the exhaust note and that little bit extra power make it worth the sweat

My experience is the same as that quoted by John. Mike seems very knowledgable and I'm sure my car wouldn't have been tested if it wasn't absolutely neccessary. It seems that SVA is the clincher now rather than if it's older than 1998 etc.