Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Changing rear brake pads

Pierre Gillet

While trying to fight a persistent brake squealing by applying a brake lubricant on the back of the pads, I had a glance at the Caterham owner manual.It says that a special service tool available through Ford dealers is necessary to push the piston back into the caliper body. It costs £80.00 plus VAT.

Is it possible to remove the rear pads without this tool? Alternatively is it feasible to make some replacement tool without being able to weld ?

Pierre

The special tool is not to help you remove the pads, it's for winding the piston back in to the caliper so that you can fit the new ones. You cannot just press the piston back into the caliper "like normal". I bought mine from a local motor factors for about 25 quid. I have seen the piston wound in using circlip pliers with 90 degree jaws, but I'm sure that you will scuff your knuckles unless your caliper is in tip top condition.

Pierre,

I've recently had this same problem. The special tool can be purchased for about £16 at you local motor factors or if you're lucky some motor factors will hire you one !. You could also try your local Ford garage, they might lend you one too. Incidently, my local Ford mechanic told me that they rarely need the tool and that circlip pliers will do the trick!!

Dave

The piston windback tool mentioned is made by

Sykes Pickvant,and is available from halfords

at £19.99,but you really don't need it,as you should be able to wind it back using a pair of bent nose circlip pliers or long nosed pliers on end.The piston should rotate freely

if it doesen't it's sticking and needs overhauling.A nice man at caterham(honest)suggests that when bleeding the rear calipers operation of the handbrake as well as the brake pedal is necessary to dispel all the air.

Question.Can anyone tell me the car model that uses dedion front discs?

A list of items sourced from other cars would be very useful,anyone like to add?