Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

High Temperature on 1800K

ziplobb

Just got the car back from the garage as its had a cam belt done, apollo fitted and 2 of the coolant hoses replaced. On the way home the temp gague is just under the red but not into it. The fan does come on and TBH I have never noticed it on before when I have turned off the engine (it stays on) - anyway I have been been looking at the threads on here associated with this.

I think I may have air in there - mention is given in other threads to the hoses being hot - car has now cooled for just under and hour now and the top hose is hot but he lower ones are hardly warm at all - what is the significane of them all being hot ?

The needle before this work always used to sit in the middle of the gague.

Oh and one more thing when I went up a hill on the way home (40/45 mph drive for 5 miles) the temp gague rapidly fell back towards the middle ??!!??

any idea chaps ?

Come to Wighblat 08 and have a slice of my birthday cake

The significance of them all getting hot is that your cooling system is working properly (thermostat opens). Depending on your thermostat you may need to get the temperature up to 88 degrees before it opens.

Fire it up and see if all the hoses get hot. If not, bleed the cooling system.

Only dead fish go with the flow....!

Easy to resolve if it is just bleeding the cooling system.

I had this happen to me twice.

Once was a airlock after having some work done on the car by a garage.

Other time was a dodgy temp sender.

Easiest way to find out which is by feeling the hoses when everything is hot.

Only dead fish go with the flow....!

Hope you get it sorted.

we are at Goodwood on Monday !!

Who's the we? You and Dizz or more? Might call in to say hello if I can get away for an hour or two.

Also if whilst at Goodwood you need any tools or even garage space locally you can always get in touch as I'm not far away.

Steve.

Sussex (West) AR

Not forgetting Percy the Polar Bear

Steve

please do & looks like the car is sorted (too much air & not enough water - thanks for the advice on here Cagey)

Wightskipper & I are tracking it - Dizz & Mark Roberts are probably coming to spectate - the CSR is too loud so Dizz is not taking part. Its a bunch of lads from the Island exclusively - mostly Jap cars & we have one or two more Caterhams as there were a couple of places left which I offered on this forum.

Come to Wighblat 08 and have a slice of my birthday cake

Glad to hear it's already sorted. Will do my best to pop in some time during the day. Fingers crossed for some decent weather. Last couple of times I've been on track at Goodwood it's been wet. Oh, then then someone layed coolant before the chicane and then someone else layed oil on top of that. Now that was and insteresting time spinning the wheels for most of the length of the pit wall 😬

Steve.

Sussex (West) AR

Not forgetting Percy the Polar Bear