Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Replacement headlights – Cibie Oscar H4

mechadaniel

Since I've got my Seven, I've been using it as a everyday car car and it's done really well, apart from the fact that the headlights are so bad it is simply dangerous on the roads near work at night.

I've tried replacement bulbs, and started to think about a HID system, but with people here queuing up to tell me how illegal HID kits are, I had to look for another solution, and a post by Paul Jackson sent me off to look at the Cibie range.

Cibie do a street legal 7” light with a H4 bulb and sidelight that looked like it would go well on a Seven:

Cibie Oscar H4

After being egged on by Tomas I bought a set, as it turned out that I could actually buy them for the same price as set of lights from S-V-C.

I've had them on the car for two weeks now, and have been blown away. I've come to the opinion that changing bulbs was a waste of time and money, and that the problem with headlights on Caterhams has nothing to do with cable lengths, or voltage drops as has been suggested, but is simply that the standard 7” lights are absolute rubbish!

The light output from the Oscar H4 actually puts most modern cars to shame, and driving country lanes on full beam is like going rallying:)

I was helped with the fitting by Andy Belcher – oh OK, he fitted them while I watched and made unhelpful comments. We found that that bolt that comes with the Oscar is actually too short to fit on my car, the simple solution was to remove the Cibie harness, and bolt, and then take the hollow bolt from the original light, and fit it and the original cable to the Oscar.

It's not a perfect solution as adjustment isn't as easy as it should be, but it does mean that the cable doesn't project out of the back of the lamp as standard on a Cibie which is a big plus.

If anyone is interested in going the same route, I had problems finding a dealer with stock, but the distributor gave me a great price, and next day delivery:

http://www.laeltd.co.uk/

I'll be at the Parrot tomorrow, so feel free to drag me outside to see them in action 😬

I can tell you that we had a look to see if the Oscar 7" headlight would fit into the standard (S-V-C?) chromed light, and it was too small.

I asked the distributer before ordering the complete light if there was any kind of standard for 7" lamp sizes and he seemed pretty unsure. I decided against experimenting as the complete lights were so cheap - and on the car they look like a quality bit of kit compared to the originals - though sadly I'm sure I'm not allowed to drive around in daylight with the branded covers on 😬

The replacement reflectors for the 7" lamp seem to be Cibie H180, and for the 5 3/4" lamp, Cibie H130, as seen here.

I need to convert my car to LHD spec headlights, so may well be ordering a pair of the Cibie's as I have always found them to be good.

Only dead fish go with the flow....!

Does anyone know, or have an opinion whether the 'replacement' reflector H180 is upto the same specification / job the Oscar H4 reflector. 🤔

Is the H180 the "best" lense / reflector replacement to fit in the Caterham headlight unit.

Just looking at the cost 😳 you understand of each (H180 -V- Oscar H4)

Richard

Does anyone know, or have an opinion whether the 'replacement' reflector H180 is upto the same specification / job the Oscar H4 reflector

Not a clue, but from that chart I can tell you that the H180/H130 are convex, whereas the Oscar H4 is concave - which is why it is so visually striking.

I made a significant improvement to my car by replacing the std Cibie upgrad units with Ring units. The glass is a slightly flatter on the Ring units with square edges.

I think they are intended for upgrading classic Mini headlights. They fit the std bowls better than Cibie's (don't rattle around). Come with side lights and Halogen bulbs.

The best bit is they only cost around £30 a pair *thumbup*

The car has been through 2 MOT's with them fitted with no problems.

It may just be a case that the old reflectors were becoming tarnished (they were fitted to my 1993 7 when I bought it), but I am very pleased with the performance.

Bruce.

• 3 weeks later...

🥰 🥰 🥰 🥰 🥰 🥰 SEEN THE LIGHT 🥰 🥰 🥰 🥰 🥰 🥰

Since I got my 7 I have been considering doing this same conversion to Cibie Oscar H4 lamps based on previous use and good appearance for the 7.

Mechadaniel's post prompted me to get on with it. A quick call to LAE ltd secured a pair of the lamps and a pair of Osram +80% bulbs *idea* *idea*. The chap I spoke to was most helpful, supplied the parts from stock and gave me a very good price *thumbup*. Substantially less than the big motorsport mail-order companies.

They arrived in two days so I immediately set about fitting them. This is not entirely straightforward - a little modification is required.

I also used the hollow mounting bolt from the original lights. This is significantly bigger diameter than the bolts with the Cibies. The slot in the spherical base of the lamp had to be filed from 12mm wide to 18.5mm wide to accommodate them. This was done along the whole length of the slot and the lamps can now be adjusted perfectly.

I also used the original Caterham wiring harnesses. I popped the connectors out of the bulb connector blocks and this allowed all the wiring to be fed through the hollow bolt so the lamp units can be swapped over. This also meant it was unnecessary to take all the wiring out of the lamp brackets.. In fact on the second side, I did not even remove the bracket from the car. To connect the earth wires with eyelets, I drilled out one of the ali rivets in the lamp body and replaced it with the original Caterham stainless steel nut and bolt. Once the lamp is loosely mounted, all the wiring terminals can be refitted into the connector blocks.

A light smear of waxoyl was brushed on to all the mounting bolts, fixings and spring clips inside the lamp assembly.

*idea* *idea* The performance of these lamps is absolutely phenomenal! 😬 😬 *idea* *idea*

Half way through the fitting when I could compare old and new, the Cibies projected a clean white beam pattern onto the inside of the garage door. The original Wipac unit gave a fuzzy yellowish pattern, and that was with the same +80% bulb!

On the road, after a bit of tweaking to get the aim right ( been doing this on road and rally cars for years) the illumination could really be enjoyed! On dipped beam, there is really sharp cut off point with the sloping up Z-beam pattern to the left. This neat cut-off allows the lamps to be set relatively high without dazzling oncoming drivers. (With a fuzzy pattern, aim would have to be lower because the light leakage starts to dazzle sooner. On high beams, well, for a single pair of lamps really amazing! There is no upward light leakage from the lenses which can be such as nuisance in mist/fog (ever tried driving looking through a veil or net curtain!?!? - it's not pretty! One gets the feeling that Cibie have managed to design a lens and reflector that puts all the light forward in the right place and that's why they are so efficient.

At last I can really enjoy night driving in my 7. Great for the winter but will also be an asset on any midsummer night blats! 🥰 😬 🥰

Keep on Blattin' y'all!

P

6SpeedManual *smokin*

*tongue*There's no such thing as too much BHP per Ton 😬

Edited by - 6speedmanual on 23 May 2009 01:06:50

Congrats:)

*idea* *idea*The performance of these lamps is absolutely phenomenal! 😬 😬 *idea* *idea*

Amazing aren't they 😬

The first night I used them I was furious, that Caterham sell lights that are so inferior is just bloody dangerous 😔

The thing is, though I think for safety reasons that everyone who uses a Seven at night should have a set, they have made my green/yellow car look pretty unique so... DON"T BUY EM!!!!

If Angus brings his car up to the next Surrey meet, it would be fun to put my Oscar H4's up against his new SVC's *cool*

*thumbup* - I don't think I have the Osram bulbs in, which I have used before and they are very good.

The light leakage upwards is not a brilliant feature if it is slightly misty, as P says, but it isn't too distracting so far - may change that view in really heavy fog however....

www.mycaterham.com

here

Videos

here

102,000 miles car

On the subject of bulbs, I recently bought some Philips 80% bulbs and frankly I'm quite disappointed with them. Has anyone had experience of both the Osram 80% and Philips 80% bulbs for comparison purposes, and can say which is the best?

Paul J.

Loud pipes save lives, but quiet ones save your hearing.

Hi Paul J

As I mentioned in my previous post, using the same Osram +80% in the Oscars *idea* 🥰 *idea* gave crisp white light and in the standard Wipac units a fuzzy, slightly yellow light.

Much of this headlamp performance is in the reflector bowl and lens design.

What lamp units are you using?

Peter

6SpeedManual *smokin*

*tongue*There's no such thing as too much BHP per Ton 😬

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Resurrecting this thread - I need to get new headlights and want to get these, as they sound the best in terms of light pattern etc...

Are they 7" only?

and looking on the web they only seem to come with a black body and chrome front ring...is it possible to get them in a black body?

Or do you buy them as a reflector unit only and mount them in your own bowls?

Andy

The lens is about 6 1/2"

Only black with chrome rings available.

You can buy replacement lenses but they do not fit the standard housing.

When i bought mine I thought of powdercoating or painting the rings but in the end I still have them in chrome finish.

Cheers

Peter

The Oscar H4 was available in all chrome, don't know if they still are.

You schould be able to get them from Holden.

Another option would be Hella X2 ( with running lights ) they come in black, i have them but i didn't tested them. they also have the electrics coming out of the side and the mounting bolt is 10mm

Ok thanks both - my car is carbon and Ali, so their is a black and silver "theme" I just don't know if the shiny chrome will show up the tatty aluminium...

6speed - why did you re-use the old bolts and make the slots bigger? was this to save having to re-thread the electrical cables through the arms?