Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Seven Tweeks clear rear lights

7 wonders of the world

Just taken a look at these and although they look great just wondering if they meet the current legal requirements 🤔

My understanding (and I stand to be corrected) is that the only coloured bulb that is road legal in Europe is Amber and that red light for stop and tail must be made with a clear bulb and a filter?

Therefore using these might be an oppertunity for the insurance people to wriggle free in the event of someone 🙆🏻ending you...........

Too young to be old !

If EU regs specified this then Mazeratti and Jaguar etc with LED lights would be illegal as they produce unfiltered red light.

Anyway a red filament bulb is a white bulb with the filter painted on the bulb.

But as with anything EU I expect someone to point to an expensive peice of legislation that defies common sense disproving this.

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

Have just fitted a set of these clear rear lights (and carbon blocks!) from Seven Tweeks, I have to agree, the brake/tail lights have taken on a decidedly pink hue to them now.

What about LED bulbs? Anyone know if they shine a deeper red? I am aware that this does not negate the blessed EU rules but if the bulbs took on a more vivid red colour then would that not make it more likely the plod would turn a blind eye?

I know, I know but we can all live in hope! *biggrin*

Foggy the Silver Seven !!

I was made aware of this issue a few days ago, and have been working hard to both clarify the situation and provide a solution. Hopefully, this post will go some way to do both.

1. The red bulb is in fact illegal (not the clear rear lens case which meets legislation and is E marked). I was unaware of this when I first started selling the lights with the bulb included, and will rectify the description on my website. Having spoken to a great many SVA centres and MOT centres, the whole subject is very grey and seems in many cases a pass or fail is at the discretion of the tester depending on their opinion. Therefore some will pass and some will fail but I agree that this will be an issue with both insurance companies and the law!

2. LED bulbs (apart from the fact that they face the wrong way in the light cluster) are also illegal. Large car manufacturers such as BMW get away with their units because the bulbs are not changeable and instead are sold as a complete unit which must be replaced in its entirety when the bulb fails.

3. I am awaiting more information but am fairly confident that I have found a legal replacement for this bulb which will have an E mark and will fit the clear rear light case. It is silver but shines red (not pink!) and therefore is lawful. I will confirm this as soon as I possibly can, both here and on my website.

When I have clarified the situation with the new bulbs, I will contact everyone who has already purchased the lights. My apologies for the situation, I'm doing my best to get it sorted.

Linds

Thanks for that info Linds. I been having a look around for a replacement bulb myself but no luck.

Look forward to hearing from you when you get your new silver style one.

Mean while i've got my 7 MOT tomorrow 😔at H Engineering at Tunbridge Wells. Gona see what happens but am taking the old rear lights i case.

Will let you know here. 😬

Gary

R66 GMS 'Flying Very Low'...

I have sent a pair of rear light lens covers away where they can be tested to see which bulb suitable to the Caterham bulb holder will provide the shade and brightness required. This may take a number of days but I will come back with something definitive! Hopefully this will provide a solution that will satisfy both insurance companies and the law. My aim is to gain written confirmation that the lens cover and bulb offer the correct illumination within the legal measured guidelines.

Cheers,

Linds.

• 3 weeks later...

As with all these things, what seemed like a fairly simple enquiry has turned into a bit of a minefield. I originally set out to find an E marked bulb that emitted the right light and was road legal. I am still trying to do this, and have been led to believe by the various bulb manufacturers that I have talked to that this will eventually be available. Unfortunately, it’s just not available now.

Yesterday, two types of bulb arrived at my door which may or may not provide an interim solution to those of you who have concerns about the current bulb.

One is a red bulb which is the same as I already supply, but which does have an E mark. However, this is essentially a white bulb which was given an E mark, and then afterwards, given a red lacquer for the after-sales market by the manufacturer.

The second is an LED bulb which emits a red light at 360 degrees. This looks great behind the lens, gives a good red colour and under braking emits a clear strong red. In my opinion, the red light that this bulb gives can easily compare with any road car light and is the bulb that I will be using. (It looks spot-on).

However, these two bulbs will fall into the category of ‘after-market accessories’ and as such will be used at the drivers discretion in the same way as other after-market products of this type.

This is the best I can do for the moment, and I will be individually contacting

those of you who have purchased the clear rear lights. I will be updating my website and making these two bulbs available for sale to those who would like them. This should be updated by the end of next week.

Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Linds.