Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Push fan - like the R500 and race ones

Jason Plato

Good luck Dave - I've never seen one of these on offer, not even on the racing fora, people only tend to get rid of them when they crash them and then they're not worth much at all *eek*. Come to think of it, I've still got a couple of bits of my old smashed one somewhere around... *tongue*

When I crashed at Donington last year I did a bit of research - they're made by Spal in Italy and I couldn't find the same model on ebay (I think it's a 13 inch from memory and there were lots of similar 11 and 12 inch ones - the std fan is 9 inches I think). I contacted the UK distributor for Spal directly with the model number but unbelievably they were dearer than buying from Caterham *eek*, so that's what I did.

ahhh thats an interesting thought Adam - I was flicking through the Merlin and Demon theivs brochures last night and most of those are suck or blow .

I was going to take the fan off this week and see if it can be done - I dont fancy a new one at £80 + vat and I just know that the fecker will boil up after 3 laps of combe drafting some mobile chicane of a ferrari or GT3 😬 😬

Davesport - when drafting in a caterham the airflow is actually reversed through the engine bay and the "suck" fan is useless. You need to blow the air through the radiator from the front *smile*

Taffia rear gunner

Maybe I should elaborate on the *confused*. The fan is fitted very closely to the cooling fins and it won't make any difference to the volume of air moved by the same fan regardless of whether it is sucking or blowing through the radiator (provided the impellor is in the correct orientation) and regardless of any strange air movement caused by slipstreaming. Either that or my 42 years in the air movement industry has been to no avail in teaching me basic principles of fan engineering. *wink*

I would suggest it is placed in front of the rad for much more practical reasons ie, a bigger diameter fan is much deeper than the standard Caterham offering so won't fit between the rad and the anti-roll bar. (As I discovered when investigating a bigger fan than standard for my tuned Zetec years ago)

Brent

(aka Arfur Nayo)

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬

Edited by - Brent Chiswick on 18 Feb 2008 16:59:43

I have the one I took off my car Dave? Along with the 4 nasty looking metal strip mounts. The reason I removed it was so I could mount the radiator on rubbers, in which case only the rear mount smaller suck one fits. I don't slip stream on track days so no issues 😬

Dave try here.it is a long shot but transport refrigeration uses many different types of 12v fans, for cooling both evaporators and condensers. Or grab hold of one of the Transport refrigeration engineers that must visit your place.

Just a thought, as the manufacturers of the fans are the same companies used for cars.

Clive.