Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil Pressure Sender

danwhiley

No, I'm not going to ask if it's right for the oil pressure to fall when the engine gets hot (enough people have done that already). However, I am giong to ask why my oil pressure gauge looks like the needles on my stereo when recording rock music - it bounces nicely from pretty much on the red to about just shy of 2bar when at idle. Also the "hot" pressure seems to be around 3bar, compared to the 4 bar that I'm sure it used to be a few weeks ago.

I took a look under the car at the pressure sender to check if the electrical connection was OK to find what I thought was the problem - there was a wire dangling loose and another fixed to the sender. Only problem is that I can't see where this second spade should be attached! Anyone know where, or is it just hanging there to confuse people?

Cheers,

Dan.

oops, nearly forgot - 1.6K, six months old. And yes, I've had a couple of excursions onto the grass at Stowe Circuit recently sad.gif

Dan, the only spade lug around the oil filter is to the sender. The other two wires in that area are to the alternator, but they are not spade but eyed and therefore go onto studing.

If you have a dry sump then there is a temp sender 15" further back on the bellhouse, another spade lug higher up on the water railer for the water temp sender and a further one to the starter motor.

Where does this loose wire run back to...

JH

Graham - that's my thoughts as well, but due to my recent off-roading I thought I'd check the connections forst!

John - not sure, as it disappears into the loom never to be seen again. However, both wires are in the same plastic sheath up until about two inches from their ends. One attached to the sender, the other dangling about aimlessly...