Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

A useful DIY tool for Dry Sumped VX owners ?

ECR

When the engine is in the car and you need to find accurate TDC (with a dial gauge) it is difficult to manually turn the engine over because the Caterham dry sump pulley and mounting adaptor covers the crank bolt. You can do it by removing these items or with a bit of luck do it by rocking the car in gear but I don’t know of another way (Is there one ?).

I made up a simple tool which locates into the front of the dry sump belt pulley via a peg and then drives off the partially exposed heads of the 3 cap screws which fix the pulley to its crankshaft adaptor. Looking at these cap screws you wouldn’t think that there was enough drive but it is surprisingly effective. Make yourself one when you’re bored… *cool*

I have a PDF drawing which will give you the idea and if you want one Blatmail me with your email address.

Ex Chairman Roger

Sounds like a fantastically useful bit of kit Roger.

On the subject of dry sumps I've been lingering on Porsche discussion forums. Whilst we Caterham owners may have up to two scavenge pumps in our dry-sump systems the latest 911 Turbo variant has 8!

""In comparison to the 8 oil pumps on the 911 Turbo (996), the new 911 Turbo features an additional extraction pump in the crankcase, resulting in a total of 9 oil pumps. These break down into 8 oil extraction and one oil delivery pump: 2 oil extraction pumps for the turbochargers, 4 oil extraction pumps for the cylinder heads (2 per cylinder head), and 2 extraction pumps and one delivery pump in the crankcase."

here