Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tillett seat - fitting without the runners

R500 CYA

I'm going to bin my hand made seat, which I have uh-hum, cough, "outgrown", and replace it with a tillett R500 style seat.

My car has a honey comb floor and no holes for the fitting of a seat (never needed before)so I need to drill the holes.

My question is how to accurately position the holes - sounds simple, but isn't, especially working around a full cage.

I intend to use the seat without the runners, so I have bought some M8 rod to create studs from the bottom of the seat and use the spacers to create a suitable incline.

Any ideas? (preferably that don't require clever geometry and mathematics!)

Cheers,

Nick

Nick,

Use four lumps of the kids Play dough. (Stick to the seat mounting points, put seat in car, press down hard in the right place, carefully remove seat without pulling playdough on floor. Finally mark centre of the lumps whihc form in the playdough where the bolt holes are in the seat. Simple!)

Worked when I did mine!

Fat Arn

Visit the K2 RUM siteid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>

Thanks guys!

Seat now firmly in place using a mixture of paint, masking tape and finally a cardboard template. Number one son was not keen on allowing the use of play-doh sadly (sadly cos it smells lovely)

Thanks for all your help.

Nick

Sorry for the delay in replying, but as AVES said they're from Caterham. I got mine from Caterham Midlands. Probably lighter, but not any/much lower. Main advantage is its so easy to take the seat in and out - just four bolts from below. Takes a couple of minutes, so its ideal for passenger seats (giving people a ride at trackdays vs. lightweight for racing). Does make adjusting the belts even more tricky though. Its probably easier to take the seat out to adjust them.

I made my own Tillet seat mounting weighing a fag paper (I don't smoke but know what a fag paper weighs anyhow),

using light hardwood that lets me use the existing holes in the floor from the new style leather seat mountings.

Don't try this at home without an adults help as I used some extremely sharp and high speed rotating tools and toxic glues to hole the bolts in place...

How about if you were to use expanding 2 pack foam , use the normal bag method but then mould it around the tillet seat . So that the seat is supported on the foam ????

This would save the weight of the runners ,and you wouldnt have to drill any holes .

Just a thought .....

Dave