Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Help Webbers

24 Full

Help,

My Crossflow is misfiring and stalls whenever I stop. I have changed the plugs, leads, distributor cap and put some carb cleaner through the carb but still no joy.

I'm guessing it must be the carb setup but have never done a webber before. Does anyone know of a good place to get it sorted near Warwick/Leamington Spa?

Thanks

Jez

If the engine was running fine when you bought the car, & until recently, then it must have been something that's recently changed . Let's assume the jets are OK for the performance of the car. So it would be worthwhile stripping the carbs completely & giving the whole thing a good clean in carb cleaner. Jets can become blocked. When was the fuel filter last changed? Pay particular attention to the float heights as well. When I adjusted mine the idle, performance & progression was much improved.

Refurb kits are about £25 each. Although the following references relate mainly to down draught Webers the principle is still the same with side draught.

40DCOE2

here

here

here

Redline Weber

here

Edited by - Mick Day on 16 Feb 2008 13:26:33

I had the same problem on my Series 2 a couple of weeks ago and it was caused by the filters in the DCOE 40s being clogged up with with very fine sandy silt.

I had previously changed the fuel pump to an SU and the filter on that also needed cleaning; to make doubly sure I also took the petrol tank out and gave that a good "rinse".

Problem solved.

Steve

Lotus 7 Series 2 1500 Cosworth

Thanks everyone for all of the really helpful replies.

Steve - I'll definately give that a try before I do anything else.

Mick - the information on those links is fantastic thanks.

Roger - Whereabouts in Leamington are you? I'm in Bishops Itchington, I may well take you up on your offer if the filters aren't the problem.

Nick - Thanks for the heads up about Aldon Automotive, it's always good to have first hand recommendation.

I'm going to give the fuel filter a go first and if that fails I'll have a go at cleaning the carbs.

All the best

Jeremy

Well guys, thanks again for all your help.

In the end I took Nick's recomendation and booked the car in at Aldon Automotive in Brierly Hill. The young chap there 'John' did an absolutely marvelous job and my Caterham is now running beautifully and what's more it didn't cost the Earth. *smile* *smile* *smile* *smile* *smile* *smile* *smile* *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup*

The main cause of the problem - one of the rubber 'O' rings on the separators between the Carburetor and the engine block had perished and blown letting air into the engine without first going through the carburetor. He replaced all of the separators with new ones that don't have 'O' rings and then tuned up the engine on the rolling road.

To celebrate I blatted home this evening with the roof off. *cool*

All the best

Jez

A very happy bunny