Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Off to see the wizards... (well the guys at Caterham actually)

Nick W

Am off to Caterham to finalise the spec on my R400 this w/e- YIPPEEE!

I sold my last Seven, a standard 1.6K, two years ago (sob!). While handling was naturally fantastic, one mistake I made was running useless rubber- Michelin Pilots on 14" rims. In fact I seem to remember them lasting 24/- miles over about 3 years with me only having to change the fronts and rears around (yes- not trying hard enough etc).

Understandably I'm keen to avoid this sort of school-boy error again.

Having looked at length through the forum's archive I have come to the following conclusions:

1: 13" wheels are the way to go. Most peolpe seem to suggest speed humps aren't a problem as long as you go slowly.

In terms of tyres:

2: ACB10s tramline and are pretty awful in the wet

3: 32s are also not great in the wet and disappear in 2/- miles

4: CR500s overheat on a track, but are good allrounders

5: 21s have good wet and dry road performance (I've not seen a track comment on them)

Given my car will see mainly road use, but with several track days a year, I was thinking of getting the R500 rims (wallet flinches...ouch!) with Yoko 21s (Polley assures me an 8" 21 will fit the 8.5" rear wheels).

Does anyone out there disagree with me/ have any comments on my choice??

I would appreciate any feedback before I go and sign on the dotted line.

Cheers

Nick

PS: Can't wait for delivery (end-July fingers crossed).

I've tried all these except the 21s, on R500 size wheels and the normal minilites

How many trackdays are you actually going to do, if lots the ACBs are much lighter than the Yokos and will be better in terms of outright grip - and they aren't that bad on the road.

The Cr500s are probably the best compromise tyre, I managed quite a few dry trackdays from them, they are light, and in monsoon conditions at Donington I was the only one still driving after even the Jap Turbo nutters had gone in. The only thing I'd really have against them is price.

For VFM the Yokos are hard to beat...

I'm only likely to scratch together 5-6 days a year for track driving, so road mileage is going to be far higher.

Maybe I'll try the CR500s to start with- I can always go for Yokos later. As you point out- nice and cheap!

I also run a skyline (although I'd like to think of myself as not too nutty!) and the CR500s must be great if they kept you out while the 4WDs went back in. Ringing recommendation I'd say.

Thanks for your reply.

Edited by - Nick W on 17 May 2002 09:03:34

I run 185/60/13 021Rs and love them. I don't have anything else to compare them with but have never felt short of grip, whether on road or on circuit. Excellent under both cornering and braking.

Don't know if this is anything to do with the tyres, but I run standard brakes, and do not get the rear locking problem that many suffer from (I also run an LSD which might help a little). In fact I don't suffer from brake locking at all!!

If you are used to more durable rubber, you'll need to get used to the fact that 021s do wear at an alarming rate - I bought my car secondhand last July and after 8,000 miles and 4 trackdays so far I am on my third full set (including the partworns that were on the car when I bought it). But if you buy from Polleys they're only 240 a set delivered anyway. I hear that the 70 profiles are even cheaper. After I replaced a whole set after a single airfield day I wondered whether to get something that lasted longer, but after some debate I decided that I would be downgrading the car. So I bought another set of 021s!

Only one problem I've ever had with grip on 021s is that last summer we had some torrential storms, I was driving on the motorway, and found that the aquaplaning was terrifying. Not sure if that's to do with the 7 or the tyres, but all I'd say is that if you're buying them because you've heard that the wet performance is good, they're not as good as I expected! Can someone else please comment on whether this is a problem on other tyres?