Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

What makes an X power..an X power?

Jeff S

What is the difference between my 1800 140 X power and a supersport engine producing similar horsepower?

Am I right in thinking that the combination of ecu, cams and pistons are matched to give the optimum torque and horsepower but at lower revs.

Ignoring the fact that at higher revs the pistons might fail...would the cams be ok being run with a supersport ecu?

Jeff

My understanding - X-Power are EU3 (not EU2) so different ECU, cams, injectors (and possibly more). The original Supersport probably generates a little more power than the X Power (even though both are claimed to be 140 - I believe X-Powers are a little below this)

It's only taken four and a half years - I have started my website at last! Early days yet . . .

The X-power engines have TF135 cams which are much more mild than the SS cams, they have a 52mm TB on a VVC plenum which is not matched to the head (and leaves a 4mm step) and revised ECU calibration.

The cams are the same profile as the VVC exhaust cam

Stock cam 248 degrees 8.8mm lift

X-power cam 252 degrees 9.3mm lift

SS cams 266 degrees, 9.5mm lift

These engines are rated at 135BHP in the MGF and I think that is proably optimistic.

I fancy some matching of the plenum and a decent set of cams would give you a verifiable 140BHP.

The rest of the engine spec. is box stock.

Oily

Edited by - oilyhands on 12 Feb 2008 12:08:08

VVC plenum which is not matched to the head (and leaves a 4mm step)

Does the matching involve removing metal from inlet track, cylinder head or both? (Jeff, don't forget the L7C class 2/3 sprint regs for 1800 )

Malcolm

Edited to add that I must type faster, and the Boss has passed judgement *eek*

Edited by - Englishmaninwales on 12 Feb 2008 13:10:55

TM.

As mark so kindly pointed out 😬 I am purely investigating my options to correct the ever increasing wieght disadvantage that I have. Indeed, if things carry on the way they are, the engine may not be the only part upgraded... an SV chassis could be next 😳

And it has nothing to do with beer *nono* 😬 😬 😬

Back on track, Just had a look at the plenum and oily is right it just doesnt match the head ports...food for thought. (No pun intended)

Mav, Point taken, wouldnt dream of it *tongue* 😬

Jeff