Click here if you are having website access problems ×

indicator - connectors at rear of car

RogNeedham

• Leadership Team

n/s both indicators work fine at normal speed (indicator and hazard)

o/s front work at twice speed

o/s rear does not work (both with indicator and hazard)

bulb is fine

earth inside light unit is fine

having done a quick search on Techtalk, I assume the gremlin will lie in the connectors next to the fuel tank, under the rear of the car *confused*

Rog

• Area Representative

Rog,

Have you tried swapping the bulb over from the working side. It certainly sounds like a dud bulb or a bad earth but just check the bulb as sometimes they can look fine but still have a problem.

Nick

The BEC has gone - now onto an R400!!

Likely bad earth on rear or possibly a short DIRECT TO EARTH on the live side - this causing excessive current load on the rear part of the circuit. Our old fashioned flash relays work something like an olde worlde bi-metallic strip IIRC which heats up when under load, breaks contact, cools and the remakes contact. Reason for rapid flashing may be too high current load, so heating up much quicker.

ISTR that I had this issue once when one of the bulbs failed in soem wierd / wonderful way.

The above could, of course, be utter gibberish as I'm nice and "relaxed" at present and definitely in holiday mode 😬

X-flow(er) power now resting. Trying Vx for a change.

• Leadership Team

😬 😬problem solved. I removed the rear wheel and follwed the wire back through the wheel arch, through the panel next to the fuel tank, down onto the chassis tube and found the wire chafed through. The handbrake cable was rubbing against the group of wires cable tied to the chassis 😔.......

inserted a new bit of wire and.........nothing. Rear indicator not working with front going twice as fast.

I removed the grommet going through the inner wing and got access to the connector that sits in the space next to the fuel tank. Undid it, blew in it, put it back to tgoether and bingo 😬 😬

this posting is left to assist any other unfortunate souls who gets really pi$$ed off with silly electrickery problems