Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Will it fail the MOT?

donut

I intend to fit an aircraft-style on/off ignition switch to go with the Caterham button-starter but when I phoned Demon Thieves to order they mentioned that the car would then fail the MOT..?! (:/)

Does anyone have the above config fitted and have had a successfull MOT? I don't want to cut the dashboard and fit the switch if I can't use it.

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks

Martin Reynolds

C7 MPR

Only a "big" garage will fail it, if indeed it is a failure. Instead take it to a small garage where you can talk to the guy, they're usually so eager to get their hands on a 7 they'll forgive anything except the important stuff

Hi, just had mine passed. I would endorse the local garage route, particularly if they run comp.cars themselves

Interestingly they advised me that next year the stainless hoses for brakes will be baned next year. Anyone any visibility ?

Anthony,

As I understand it braded hoses are already an MoT failure because the checker can not see the condition of the hosing itself.

However most testers use common sense on this issue and consider the overall condition of the vehicle as a fair indication of the way it has been maintained.

Yet another reason to go to a seven friendly garage.

Glad you passed though, see you Sat, you can drive to Goodwood as I've seen the forecast!!

Nick

A switch on the dash is not an MOT failure! How can it be?

It will do the same job as the key switch other than the steering lock. It may well fail the sva test though.

Dont believe the old story of the brake hoses. How can they fail the hoses if they are not able to see them?

It is the same as a car with wheel trims on. They cant fail it because they cannot see if the wheel nuts are there or not. And they are not allowed to dismantle anything.

If you get stuck let me know I have a copy of the MOT testers manual here.

James

Braided hoses what a lot of cr.p!!! They might as well fail everything because they cant see the re-enforcing in the tyres!! How about the piston seals in the calipers? My company deals with high pressure systems all day every day. I've seen seals fail without warning, or prior leakage, never had a braided hose go though!!!!

Andy Marks

VHPD7@aol.com