Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Move battery on xflow

alextangent

I want to move the battery out from underneath the carbs on my xflow. There's plenty of room on the passenger side in the engine bay, and I think it's far enough away from the exhaust not to cook the battery (or it could be shielded). The cables would need to be rerouted, but they actually might end up a bit shorter.

What have other people done, and what kind of tray/fixings have been used?

Alex McDonald

A loud 1700 SS in bits

I de-heatered mine and put the battery there in a K-series battery holder attached to a flat bit of sheet that covers the heater holes (old style flat box heater), using the original cables. I have seen them over the end of the passenger foot well or on top of it as well. You could retain the below carb mounting but use one of the dry cell race batteries, as you can slide these in around the lower rails with a bit of dexterity. Still need to take a carb off to get the old one out, but you will be doing this anyway unless you plan to leave it in situ.

In terms of a battery cover I went to my local hardware store and looked at loads of shallow plastic storage boxes (the type you use in the kitchen to store food) and found one exactly the right size for the battery. Fitted it over the battery and dumped the boxes lid . Saved plenty over the cost of a proper one which is little different.

Edited by - Graham Perry on 6 Feb 2008 16:48:09

If your car is a DeDion chassis it is said you cannot get the battery out without removing the engine *eek*

LA car is no problem to get out ( you will have to jack the car up though)

As for positioning, I moved mine in front of the passenger footwell. It has not been cooked yet!

I have a 1988 Xflow and the battery sits on a plate resting on the bottom frame immediately in front of the passenger footwell. It is strapped in with an aluminium strap fixed to the front of the passenger footwell. The oil breather catch tank is fixed just above the battery. It is easy to access and remove and I have not (touch wood) experienced any problems with it being close to the exhaust (rear exit exhaust). Being very low down helps with the CG. *smokin*

Thanks for all the suggestions. *thumbup* I think I'll move to the passenger side and relocate the existing tray. Good to know they don't cook down there.

🤔I don't have a problem getting my battery in and out with carbs in place; I plug up the overflow hole, and with a bit of wiggling can slide it out. I thought that's what everyone did 🤔

Alex McDonald

A loud 1700 SS in bits

I'm still in the build process (2007 Caterham Classic/Duratec 2.3) but I have removed the scuttle battery tray and binned the CC-supplied battery.

I now have an Odyssey dry cell mounted down low, in front of the driver's footwell (on the intake, lhd side) in an aluminium bracket bought from Summit Racing, a USA parts supplier. I will install remote pos and neg terminals and a battery cutoff switch in front of the scuttle, so I can charge or check the battery easily without having to get under the intake manifold to remove it.

Hope it all works as planned....

Alaskossie

Mines where the heater use to be, of its not a crossflow and a big freedom battery *thumbup*

here

here

I made the tray from aluminium plate see photo the retaining strap may look the wrong way round but no scrutineers been able to move it and they have tried 😬

'Can you hear me running' ......... OH YES and its music to my ears 😬 😬 😬

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BD? engineered by Roger King, on Weber's with Brooklands and Clamshell wings, Freestyle Motorsport suspension.

Edited by - Bilbo on 8 Feb 2008 21:31:10

The battery is out *thumbup*, and the tray looks in a terrible state *thumbdown*, all corroded and moth eaten. And I still want to relocate it to the passenger footwell, so now is a good time.

The battery is a 30Ah, 300A bike battery, W/H/D 18cm/18cm/13cm. Ideally it would be a box that I could secure to the lower rails and bolt through the passenger footwell. But I can't find a battery box or tray that's the right dimensions on t'internet ☹️. Any suggestions? *confused* *confused*

Alex McDonald

A loud 1700 SS in bits

Thanks Michael, offer appreciated *thumbup*.

However, I was out last night, and the battery (which I removed at the weekend and topped up) has developed a leak from the top seam; probably explains why there's some damage in the tray (not the alloy one, the one underneath that).

I'm going the Powervamp route; I'd be interested in a bulk buy *wavey*

Alex McDonald

A loud 1700 SS in bits