Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Which fuel pump do I need?

I.Mupferit

My car is a 2005 model year SV and I believe I need an uprated fuel pump for my new 2.3 Duratec which will be producing rather more power than the old 235 bhp jobby.

I can't get through to the CC stores at the moment to ask the question so what pump am I likely to need? Is it the JPE/VHPD pump that fits internally in the tank? There seem to be a few pumps shown in the online shop and I'm not too sure which is the direct replacement for my present one.

TIA

Brent

(aka Arfur Nayo)

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬

• 5 months later...

Unfortunately, Mrs C found out how much I gave Ammo the last time so I'm unlikely to get away with that again whilst keeping the wedding tackle intact! *rolleyes*

You've no idea what it cost me in terms of 2 new bathrooms, a lounge makeover and more shoes than Imelda Marcos! ☹️

255LPH Walbro F20000169 pump will fit the Caterham plastic pump basket with a little boring. About $110 USD. Not sure where to find one in the UK. (it's a common v8 Chevrolet application.)

If you swap pumps, I'd recommend binning the pulse damper widget between the pump and the tank flange and replacing it with a proper bit of fuel line and a couple of jubilee clamps. Pulse dampers tend to leak before the pump has reached it's service life.

-Bob

94 HPC VX Evo III

Danny, from recollection the Sytec pumps can be obtained fromn FSI, and fit the standard Rover pump holder that fits in the tank.

For high output engines I am advised the R500 pump is marginal - fine for 250 bhp.

Last thing you want is the engine running lean on a track as fuel is not getting pumped fast enough.

FSI have a nice pump which delivers 5 bar and suitable for up to 400 bhp - used a lot in tuned scoobies.

Yeah, it was the FSI website I was looking at, but Merlin Motorsport seem to stock the same part. I put a fuel pressure sensor in years ago, and the first 300bhp engine would only cause problems on really sustained full throttle, i.e. the long uphill straight at Spa.