Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fireblade Nova Mounting

Ray Gamma

I've just changed my reverser box chain as I assumed a worn chain was the source of some transmission noise, (the chain I removed was pristine however!).

On reinstalling the reverser I think I've found the cause of the noise - one of the the of the arms of the upper reverser box mounting has snapped (looks like its snapped through a previous repair!).

Do I replace or repair???

Bruce at Arch is happy to make a "beefier" replacement but this will be costly as it would be a one off.

I'm a little loathed to repair the repair as I think it will only fail again.

Any thoughts?

Has this happened to anyone else - if so what was the solution?

Anybody out there up for a bulk buy - the cost for a one off will be circa £120.

Thanks in advance

PS it was interesting to see that my new reverser chain had thicker gold links than previous chains!

Are we talking about the triangular mounting?

Mine snapped too, not an arm, but part of one of the plates - I think it may have also happened to one other, James Whiting wasn't sure why, and he was able to weld mine back together during a service late last year. Give him a call - he'll be able to help.

Lee - You're right the triangular mounting

I spoke to James this morning - he suggested welding the broken arm and reinforcing the plate at the same time.

My only concern about welding is that this mounting looks like it has broken through a previous weld, I therefore enquired about a new stronger mounting which Bruce at Arch is very happy to do, but this would be costly as it would be a one off. Then again I imagine re-welding on a regular basis would be costly.

Cheers

Rob

I've had my bracket brake three times!

1st time - back plate split.

2nd time - back plate split again, had new plate thickened.

3rd time - one of the bars started to crack.

So I've had to bite the bullett and have Bruce make me a new one. High price I know, but he has the jig and the 7 is undriveable without it.

I'm still to pick it up, so if your quick, maybe we can change my order into a bulk-buy.

Thanks chaps *smile*

Something else for me to check/worry about before spa assuming blackbirds are the same.

Where is this triangle plate? Is it obvious lyeing on your back on a cold floor looking up with bits dropping in your eyes? Is the cracking obvious?

Will

Will - I don't know if you've got something similar on your 'bird, but if you've got a Nova reverser I think you probably will. There is a plate attached to the front surface of the reverser box (one corner of the triangle) connected to the plate are 2 arms each end of which is bolted to the chassis (corners 2 &3), each chassis end is connected by the third bar.

You can inspect from below or with the tunnel top off. My breakage wasn't obviously apparent until I put my reverser box back in and tightened the nuts.

I've just taken this mounting out tonight - looks like it's been repaired at least twice before -I'm definitely getting a new beefy one.

I'm not sure if there's time for a bulk buy as I want to get mine back on the road ASAP. I'll mention it to Bruce if there's any more interest.

Cheers

Rob

Edited to add - I can email photos if it helps

Edited by - Ray Gamma on 4 Feb 2008 21:50:10

Bruce quoted me circa £120 for a one off mounting. I don't know what the unit price would be if we got a batch made up.

I therefore need to speak to Bruce about minimum numbers, price etc - I might not be able to do this until tomorrow (dead mobile battery).

Stewart I will pick up mail this evening.

Rob

Just spoken to Bruce, he would consider a discount if we can put in order do a batch of 4 or more - price will still be north of £100 (priced on similarity to wishbone).

Will - the 'bird mounting is slightly different to the 'blade mounting and you'll be pleased to hear that Bruce is not aware of any failures *thumbup*

Guys

Arch is making me a chassis this month. It is then off to Force to have the engine mounts made and the reverse box mount fitted. Is this something I need to specify to Arch? I’m fitting a Hayabusa with a Quaife reverse box.

Also why are there problems with this.I would think the reverse box is just like a propshaft support bearing with little strain?

Thanks

Jason

Currently, I am qualified to plead ignorance.

Check the mounting points for your Quaife box as they might not be the same as the Nova one. If they are, come and join us *biggrin*. With atleast a 10% failure rate with the 'blade mounting, I'd definately speck a beefier mount. Remember, if this part fails, your not gonna be driving *cry*

I'm sure there brackets are failing because of a misalinement problem, I think that when there bolted into place it puts the bracket understrain already, then with the added strain of the nova box underload from the engine, over time this is finishing them off.

As stew knows I have a completly different setup on my blade as it was the Prototype, but Steve G has the same bracket on his blade, as everyone elses and had no problem to date...

'Pinky Pics' here

Ray its also worth mentioning Chains that have had some use and still look pristene can still cause excessive vibration too, if the box is out put a new chain in, then you will get a whole year out of it no problem. I change my chain every winter then forget about it, its surprising just how much less vibration there is with a new chain, i've changed 3 or 4 in mine, some have been pristene others have been wrecked with lots of rollers missing! there only about 15 quid so worth changing while the box is out.

'Pinky Pics' here

blade_runner - I agree with your thoughts on bracket failure - I only spotted mine had broken when reinstalling my Nova - I'd obviously put a lot of stress through the bracket by tigtening the bolts up in the wrong order. Have you any thoughts about the best way to do this?

BTW - I took the advice on your previous posts and changed the chain anyway - it was interesting to see that this years chain from Nova is definately chunkier than last years with a gold bling finish 😬

Anybody up for a BEC-Blat this summer???