Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Problem assembling front upright

Mcalvert

• Leadership Team

I'm starting to reassemble H5URF. I am converting from trunions to the later uprights on Widetrack. However, the uprights do not want to seem to fit into the spherical bearings - does it just take brute force?

Looking at the online build manual (my original one does not cover the later front suspension) there is mention of a spacer (5/8" mm id x 3/4" od x 8mm) which should be inserted onto the bottom of the upright. I do not seem to have this, and anyway, the upright seems to be an over-tight fit anyway?!?

What am I doing wrong? Thanks - Michael.

You must use the spacer....it lifts the upright so the taper is in the correct position in the spherical bearing.
I don't understand this. This must mean that there is a different spherical bearing for wide & narrow track. My original narrow track originally had no spacer. New bearings were fitted & we used the spacer as apparantly this introduces a certain amount of anti-dive (IISTR). I now have wide track with the spacer.

Edited by - Mick Day on 3 Feb 2008 10:50:57

Extract from the Assembly manual for my 1996 car i.e. at a time when wide-track was only a twinkle in Jez Coates' eye *wink*

5A.4.3 "Slide the special spacer (Part 71302) on to the bottom of the upright, and slot the upright into the spherical joint of the lower wishbone" *confused*

I've just taken a look at a later (about 2004) build manual and you are correct that the spacer is now not mentioned for standard track, so obviously it changed sometime between '96 and '04 - I wonder when *confused*

Paul

Paul

Edited by - Paul McKenzie on 3 Feb 2008 14:29:48