Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fittment of Luggage Rack

S7 RMP

I would like to try to knock one of these up to save a few bob, but having never seen one don't know how they are fitted. Photos would be ideal but a brief description would possibly give me some idea inc. dimensions.

Here's looking forward to clear rear vision on my next overnighter!!!!

Cheers

Rog Palmer Email(if any photos available) roger@palmerr.freeserve.co.uk

It is probably worth while to make your own, because Sevens are different from one another. I had to modify my Caterham made frame when I found that the "horizontal" frame fouled the light.

You should put some effort into making sure that the part where it sits on the spare wheel carrier is suitably padded so that you don't damage the paintwork.

You should also give some consideration to what it is that you are putting onto the luggage rack. Some owners have had aluminium boxes made up, with waterproof tops. Others use standard cases, but these will leak in heavy rain unless carefully selected. An important consideration is the height of the container (whatever it is) with respect to the rear line of vision from the mirror. In other words you want to be able to see the cop car on your tail, even with your luggage in place. Last year on the Spanish trip, I put all the dirty items (oil, spanners, etc.) into an old sports/tennis bag on the luggage rack. This was wide, but low. There are pictures of this in Jamie Jones' Low Flying article last year.

Then there is the matter of holding the whole contraption in place. Some people have fitted large anchor eyes to the back of the car, which then allows a secure tying off point for straps, bungee cords, etc. without stopping you putting up the roof, getting into the boot space, etc. etc.

No photos available, but you could check at Curborough this weekend. There'll be a few with extra baggage (e.g.for camping), so there'll almost certainly be some luggage racks to examine in detail.

Incidentally, Crispin Feilding was grateful that his aluminium box provided some extra crumple zone protection when being attacked by a truck on the way back from the Ring a couple of years ago.

Hope all this rambling response is some help.

We have a standard Caterham rack, but it is quite high, so anything tall will obstruct rear vision, as Peter says. When we went round Europe camping for 6 weeks, we used a plastic Carlton suitcase, which had over-centre catches, locks and a rubber gasket, so it was reasonbly water proof. I also cut some holes in the back, so I could lock it to the car with a bike lock. I modified the rack to lower the case below the level of the rear bodywork.

First I cut the horizontal bar which runs across the bottom of the fold down section. This meant that I could lower the fold down piece, and clear rear number plate light. I simply drilled two holes in the uprights so I could lower the pivot point of the fold down section.

I also moved the number plate and light down, to allow the case to clear them.

As we have not used the rack much since, I have moved these back up for now, as it looks tidier, but they can go down again when we need to use the rack. (in fact I have fitted the rack again in its normal position at the moment as it acats as an affective parking bumper for our blind neighbours who have hit teh car a few times)

It is probable that none of this makes any sense, but I can email or send you some digi pictures of what I am talking about, and also provide all the key dimensions of the rack, if you need them.

Roger

I have made a couple of luggage racks myself and found it best to use 19mm tube and rather than try to bend it I kept it straight and capped the ends with rubber caps (4 for less than £2 from B&Q. Also I used rubber water hose and petrol pipe to provide padding where it hooks onto the carrier.

I will be at Curborough (Yellow 7 - C7PPR) and I'll have the rack on probably with a picnic basket. Please feel free to examine/measure and if I'm around can answer your questions.

If you are not going to Curborough, e-mail me or ring me (0161 763 5410) and I can send pictures and measurements. I even have all the bits ready cut to make another rack.

Paul R.

C7PPR

Thanks for all your advice. It seems to be building your own is the way forward. Angus & Tessa could you email me some pics + dimensions, Paul I cant make curborough so could you send us an email as well of pics + dimensions. Peter thanks I will check out said article.

Cheers

Rog Palmer email roger@palmerr.freeserve.co.uk