Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

OT: structural RSJ calcs

Gridgway

Steve, got some nice chassis stands for the Rad, but it's a bit scary getting it up (so to speak). SO I am hoping to put in the RSJ and a hoist to make it easier to do.

From a bit of reseacrh on the web, I think I need to make use of a proper structural engineer to get it right!

Graham

Graham. You do need a Structural Engineer. I suggest you look at www.localsurveyorsdirect.co.uk/structural_engineer for a local Engineer in your area.

Any Chartered Engineer on this website who responds to you without visiting your property leaves himself wide open to any resultant failure that might occur....and with structures that can be serious.Maybe that is why you haven't had any advice so far! Do not attempt to calculate it yourself. Engineers take 5 years minimum to qualify so it is not a 5 minute job!

This is a very simple problem so a visit and advice should not cost much. Better to be safe than sorry...a Seven on your chest could be very painful *nono*

Edited by - brunel on 2 Feb 2008 18:41:14

I assume the span is about 3m. If so a 203 or 254 UB will be more than capable. Piers will only need to be minimum size approx 300x 300, tie them in to garage walls and cast a concrete padstone around the beam ends. Link shows how Universal Beam sections are sized

Dont bother with a structural engineer for something as simple as this- a good builder is what you need.

Have you got sufficient headroom once youve attached your lifting accessories?

Far cheaper/ easier/ more versatile is to buy an engine hoist.

Good builders are all you need....a couple of Acrows 'ere and we will have it up in no time. Oh f... what happened. Did we tell the Building Inspector? No! didn't you?

Oh and get the lifting beam tested and be sure to mark its SWL and then have a lifting plan by an appointed person.........

This country NEEDS a recession.

Id say Rob has the answer a stand alone built for purpose frame.

Thanks all for the info.

The garage is detached and I am pretty sure there is enough height. It's to lift my Radical onto its chassis stands, so the load will be at a single point.

The free-standing lift is just too big for the garage.

I used an engine crane to get the Rad up this time, but it's pretty horrible n scary. Also it's very involved to get the car up off the ground initially to get the engine crane underneath.

Graham

Why are building regs involved?

Who said anything about holding a building up.

I've just done the same in my garage and its only supported by angle brackets bolted to the trusses (6). Have you any idea how much weight these trusses grouped together can support!

500kg is not heavy. However I am in the game and do design my own developments etc so can appreciate the question.

I would suggest that FTH is on the money but that he's well over specified the RSJ *cool*

Thats because I knock buildings down rather than built them *tongue* Leftfield suggestion get local scaffold company to erect some ladder beams with a couple of independant towers either side. Take an hour tops and be as cheap as chips.

Graham

I would give Sparrowhawks a buzz, local to you {just by the downs}, I am sure they can give you a hand, sell you a 2nd hand beam, cut it to size and deliver it.

Is it a pitched roof garage ? They will fabricate a plate to spread the load on both sides if required.

Just found the number and address, its 01737 352889 24 Epsom Lane North, Tadworth

As Simon has said, 500kg is not a big weight in steel weight bearing terms *eek*

Martin