Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Aircraft style starter switch fitment query

Graham King

Folks, have just purchased a toggle switch and cover to replace the key start, I already have a starter buton. The switch is rated at 10A, I am right in thinking that this rating is fine as the switch only operates on a relay, and that I only require similar rated wire to extend the terminals from the ignition barrel. Just want to make sure I am safe before I start replacing everything.

Thanks.

Graham.

R7 GPK

Superlight #85

I can't remember what I fitted to mine but as you say I am pretty dure it operates via a relay in the MRFU. The wires that are there are pretty big but I think that is because of the original use. The barrel is from a mini and so would not have operated via a relay and would need to be a higher rated switch.

There are 4 relays in the MFRU for: fuel pump; lambda sensor; starter solenoid; injectors, charcoal cannister, & IACV. You want a beefy switch as an ignition switch that will not corrode in a short space of time. 40 amps is more than man enough especially if you wish to wire other circuits through it.

Edited by - Mick Day on 1 Feb 2008 13:29:29

Kevsta, that was my original thought. Demon Thieves want £8.50 delivery for a £6.50 switch as well. The one I have is rated at 250V/10A & 125V/15A which appears to be the same as the ones at RS Components. I will give the one I have a try and change if necessary.

Graham.

R7 GPK

Superlight #85

Graham

If you call me at DT i can put one in the post at £2.95 + vat.

We don't give the post option on the website as people then try and sent a rollcage by 1st class post as its the cheapest option .

Cheers

Dave