Click here if you are having website access problems ×

test

John Gaines

It might be a similie....

Definition

metaphor Show phonetics

noun [C or U]

an expression which describes a person or object in a literary way by referring to something that is considered to possess similar characteristics to the person or object you are trying to describe:

'The mind is an ocean' and 'the city is a jungle' are both metaphors.

Metaphor and simile are the most commonly used figures of speech in everyday language.

metaphorical Show phonetics

adjective (ALSO metaphoric)

1 describes language which contains metaphors:

Her second novel is written in a very metaphorical style.

2 not having real existence but symbolic and showing some truth about a situation or other subject:

A metaphorical ocean (= extremely large area of disagreement) lies between the two groups.

There is a danger that America's metaphoric 'war on drugs' may turn into a bloody reality.

metaphorically Show phonetics

adverb

The phrase 'born again' is used metaphorically to mean that someone has suddenly become very religious.

By leaving school without any qualifications, she has, metaphorically speaking, shot herself in the foot (= harmed her chances of success).

Hope this helps... 😶‍🌫️

You can call me MICK or MICHAEL (please)

Thanks Mike, but I was right first time *wink*

By 'float' and 'twitching' I was implying that Ash was referring to something else 😳 as per your definition of 'metaphor'. It was of rudeness and immaturity only suitable for the Shed, meaning you can be forgiven for not understanding.

So .................. get back in you box and head upstairs if you want adult converstation. 😶‍🌫️ 😬

Now THAT was sarcasm .... *tongue*

Where am I?