Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Coolant dripping from bellhousing / trans???

RichardUSA

Whatever is the cause it can't be good....... I'm getting uncontaminated coolant (clear yellow Prestone) dripping from the seal between the gearbox and bellhousing. *confused* There is no evidence of coolant in the engine oil. I can see the bottom of the bellhousing below the clutch through the inspection hole and see only dry ali.I put a stick through the opening to the bottom. No evidence of anything on the stick and this is below where the seal with the transmission is located. Regardless a drip every few minutes weeps from the joint near one of the bolts.

No evidence of any leaks dripping from above and traveling around..... All I can think is a cracked block in the bellhousing. It's been cold but I have the coolant at 50/50.

Someone lie to me and tell me I'll wake up and all will be fine.

BASIC TECH INFO: 2004/6000 mile Cat w/Zetec SVT, widetrack, DeDion, 5 spd/3.62, 15-CR500's

• Support Team

I had the problem Mike mentions today.

The hose into the heater valve was leaking. The coolant was running down the hose going over the bell housing to the thermostat.

The coolant pooled on top of the bell housing and found its way round to create a leak that looked like it was coming from the clutch 😳

Mine is a K-Series

HTH

I'm pretty sure there is a core plug on the back of the Zetec block which would be concealed by the flywheel and bellhousing so it might well be that which has become dislodged/corroded.

Still means an engine out job but at least it is cheap to fix. *thumbup*

Brent

(aka Arfur Nayo)

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬

No voice of disapproval. After all, that's just the kind of innovative thinking that made this country what it is today! *smile* However, I think he might struggle to do it in situ if it is in the back of the block in front of the flywheel. *wink*

Brent

(aka Arfur Nayo)

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬

Feel a bit silly - and relieved. Unless there are multiple causes this is what I've found... I had checked a couple times, but there was a very slight leak at the bottom of a heater hose splice. From there it went into a cluster of wires that intersected it and the fluid was traveling through some protective convoluted plastic which was wrapped with silicone tape. The wires run into the belhousing and the drip must have run along the inside/underside of the bellhousing top (no visible pooling at the bottom inside) and back to the seal between the bell and the gearbox. Perhaps there is a dam of some sort at this location to allow it to pool at this high point or the rate of leak through the seal was matched by the leak from the hose. Regardless (unless the clutch has been contaminated) it appears fate didn't point it's finger at me and I no longer hate the car - until next time. Just like a high-maintenance woman with big jugs. 🥰 *mad*

Thanks for the help.

BASIC TECH INFO: 2004/6000 mile Cat w/Zetec SVT, widetrack, DeDion, 5 spd/3.62, 15-CR500's