Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Throttle cable

Pleasantville

The throttle cable on my R500 was a little stiff yesterday so I disconnected it from the pedal, held it vertical and poured oil into it. Seems OK but still stiffish when put back together again.

It strikes me that the cable is too long, because it runs from the pedal box, down past the washer bottle, beyond the roller barrel linkage, back round and then curves up under the roller barrels to the linkage.

Why is it not shorter and running in one smooth curve to the roller barrel linkage? Have I got the wrong cable?

A friend mentioned teflon lined cables. Where could I get one of these that would fit?

Thanks.

It's the length it is because it is the standard Rover Metro(?) cable. Even when looped round it should be ok. It has a lowfriction inner sleeve and may not gain any benefit from extra lube.

If it's past its best, pop a new one on. They are relatively cheap and can be fitted in about 8 minutes! Mine snapped at the pedal end recently. Wouldn't like to have a sticky cable jam at WOT!!

Cheers

P

6SpeedManual *smokin*

*tongue*There's no such thing as too much BHP per Ton 😬

• Support Team

Check that the problem isn't the throttle pedal sticking. I had this and have indeed had it jam at WOT on the hill at Loton Park *eek*. I slackened the pedal bolt slightly to free it up. I am led to believe that there should be some sort of spacer that prevents this from happening but I don't seem to have that on my car.

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing