Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Grill removal

matthewwatkiss

I did this recently and had exactly the same worries. However, a nice pair of long nose pliers and a small screwdriver did the trick. Use the screwdriver to lift up a corner, then pull/waggle the clip off with the pliers. Despite 15 years of rust, they came off fairly easily and went back on without too much trouble. After putting them back on, I applied some waxoyl as the clips are bound to scratch through the paint when you put them on.

Actually, come to think of it, perhaps my clips are different to yours, as I wouldn't describe mine as "C clips". I think they are called spire clips or something. A tiny rectangular piece of metal with a hole in the middle. Are yours like this?

Anthony

Had to do the same, but mine were star washers (I think that's what they are called) that broke up because of rust. I refitted the grill using tight fitting rubber tap washers instead - it's not worked loose so far!

SteveP

They sound the same, I am hoping not to break them but in view of your success with the rubber stoppers I may even just put a blob of Sillican on them. It seems to stick anything to anything.

Thanks for all you help folks, I am going to be painting the grill suround Black and the '7' yellow, it is getting a bit battered.

I just drilled new holes top and bottom in the fibreglass and forced/bent the extended grill mounting pins into these. the original mounting holes were badly worn. No need for washers, caps etc. and won't ever fall off.

New7er