Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Inboard front suspension.

Mickrick

So what is the correct sequence/arrangement of fitting the stepped spacers to the shocks? There seems to be two of each size, eight in total, and no clear indication of where to fit them? Is it just trial and error? Can anybody remember where they are supposed to go?

Only dead fish go with the flow....!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guessed they were for the dampers, but I seem to have three different sizes. *confused*

So, I have four of one size, and two pairs of different sizes.

So, I just try and space the dampers towards the car, whilst getting a snug fit.

What is the correct way for the spring/damper to be fitted?

I notice Gary shows pictures of it upside down.

They go in the shock spherical joints, one each side of the joint, top and bottom, but I was just wondering what combination was required.

I'll have another play tomorrow...

Edited by - CageyH on 30 Jan 2008 20:55:51

Thought i'd explained the combo but it does seem a little unclear now I re-read it.

ok, made a mess of thids:

The odd size ones all go in one of the shocks only. You will find that there are 8 off. 4 off at one size, and 2 off wide + 2 off narrow. The 4 off go one side, say RHS, of the car and the other set 2 wide and 2 narrow go either side of the (possibly) LHS damper mounts. The idea is that the spring gets closer to one of the diagonals than the other so one damper is spaced slightly forward of the other.

This is a change recently added to the system based upon feedback from some customers. phone Gary by all means but he wasn't able to tell me which side took ther offset spacers so you do need to work it out for yourself.

Edited by - millsn on 31 Jan 2008 17:35:08

Edited by - millsn on 1 Feb 2008 16:34:43

Pretty definite that my 8 that were all the same (we're talking about the top-hat bushes that go in the damper bushings yes?). I took the suspension apart when I stripped the car last year so I think I'd have noticed if they were different, then if I hadn't before.

If it were me, I'd give Gary a bell first thing in the AM and get a definitive answer from him. It looks as though there've been subtle changes in design over the years in any case.

Darren E

K80RUM Website and Emerald maps library

Superlight R #54

Edited by - k80rum on 31 Jan 2008 19:08:52

That was now my plan. *thumbup*

The problem I have now is that the dampers don't fit.

The kit list says there are 8 bushes - all short.

I have 2 short (10mm) , 4 slightly longer (12mm) and 2 even longer (15mm)

So, it looks like I have the wrong bits.

The 10mm and 15mm spacers form a nice fit in the rockers, but the two 12mm either side of the damper just don't fit.

I could grind these down, or file them, but I am waiting for my new rear supports, so may as well get these right as well *thumbup*

Edited by - CageyH on 31 Jan 2008 19:34:21

Just got this from Gary.

I'll post it here in case anybody wlse needs it.

We have consistently found that the right hand damper (as you sit in the car) runs closer to the cruciform rail than the left one. Not sure why but we have started supplying offset spacers for the RH damper.

So the 4x12mm spacers are used on the LH damper and the offset ones are used to space the RH damper forwards - 15mm to the rear, 10mm at the front. The top damper mounts do vary in width because of distortion during manufacture but, if the width of damper and spacers is correct at 25.4mm, then they should fit with a little persuasion.

I am off to go and persuade them now....