Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Inboard front suspension.

Mickrick

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hm! I had a new long front in '96 after a shunt but as far as I know its the same as the old one. I wonder what the differences are. I thought it was just the top rear mount that needed to be moded to the new, higher position. I talked to Gary May this afternoon and he didn't mention such a major mod. Maybe best to take the car down to see what's needed. A new front would nearly double the cost of the job on an old car so questionable unless doing a major rebuild.

Need to reconsider maybe!

I asked Gary about an anti-roll bar on the front and he was quite adamant that I wouldn't need one. I have a feeling the car he built for Brodie Branch did employ a front ARB however but that was used exclusively for extreme track work as I understand it.

Gary also advised me to disconnect the rear ARB for road use as well.

Brent

(aka Arfur Nayo)

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬

Thanks for the response guys! *thumbup* Sorry, been away from the computer for a while. Hi Brent *wavey* Thought you'd be along sooner or later *wink*

I've had some interesting correspondence with Gary. I'm going to go for it *thumbup*

I think the kit is very good value for money, if you're building from scratch, like me. If you offset what you would pay for the CC suspension package.

I think it's also worth the extra £322.55 to upgrade to Nitrons all round. (The front spring/dampers (AVO's) are included in the kit if you're just going for the front kit)

In fact, if you buy the rear dampers and springs, add A-frame, radius arms and a hardware kit, that's the whole suspension package. *cool*

There is an inboard ARB £186.38

Gary tells me they are about to test some slimmer Nitrons next month, so I'm going to wait and see what the outcome of that is before I do anything. Could help with your airbox mod Darren?

Oh! and apparently, it's been crash tested *eek* Whether or not that was intentional, I don't know! 😬

Cheers,

Mick.

If all around you say it can't be done, all the more reason to do it!

Maybe because the inboard setup is much stiffer than the outboard and the falling rate is eliminated, the front arb isn't required to keep the car flat in the corners. Dunno! Apart from generally understanding the geometry, suspension is still a black art to me. From reading discussion about the rear arb here over the years, a lot of people consider it to be unnecessary. Some years ago I drove a series of laps around Castle Coombe at each of the settings and settled on one in from the end being best. Didn't try it without though.

Now, about this long front requirement...........

Paul, I don't think the inboard setup is "Stiffer" That depends on your spring rates, and damper settings. It is more efficient because of the rising rate. In other words the dampers work better.

I'm sure Gary will not mind me posting these pictures he sent me here I'm not sure if the particular car is an SV, it's hard to tell, but I would asume it is, as the diagonals are not removable (But I think that was an option on the S3?) There are some pic's there of my SV chassis for comparison.

But it's easy to see the quality of the freestyle kit. The anodised fulcrum blocks are a nice attention to detail I think.

Really nice piece of kit. The S3 does have the option of removable diagonals. Getting a Vx engine in and out with them in place is not easy. The Vx race series had them welded in.

At first sight its not easy to see why the rear mount couldn't be changed to suit the pre '96 chassis without the need for the expensive new type long front. I'm sure Gary has considered it. I think your signature says what I feel about this Mick, until proved otherwise anyway 😬

CH, which chassis do you have? Is your car on the road now?

If it's an SV, I'd love to hear your comments on the difference, between old, and new.

A bit academic really, as I've talked myself into one! *redface*But interesting anyway.

Thanks for posting the pics Mick.

The rear struts for the turret have definitely had their pickup points revised - a much better idea to use the wishbone points.

As an aside, I notice on that blue car that the brake hoses have been run alongside the trailing part of the lower wishbone. I wonder why it's been done? It looks marginally neater but will leave the car with a hole in the side of the bodywork.

The brake pipework is along the LHS of the engine bay too. I wonder if that's a Duratec thing as mine's on the RHS. It'd make sense I suppose to have the brake line on the opposite side of the engine bay to the exhaust.

No problem Darren.

Yes I noticed that too, and wondered if Tie wraps were O.K. for the SVA? They look like hard brake lines? If they are, then they'll have to connect to flexible ones anyway.

They've probably done it to save having a long, floppy fleible hose.

I specc'ed my chassis for Duratec, and I also asked CC to run the brake lines, and loom along the left hand side for me, because of the exhaust primaries being on the right hand side. *wink* (Another good reason for me going to Duratec! It will save my hearing! *idea*(LHD) All these good ideas came from asking numpty questions on BC by the way. *wink*

I can see now why I would need a new front. The top wishbone mounts are about 2 inches lower than on my older chassis and I can imagine that Arch would say it was cheaper to change the front, rather than modify the old one. Presumably the design mod was done to the chassis to improve the standard suspension geometry.

No quick or cheap fix, I fear.

Sorry to hear about the rear supports CH ☹️. It sounds as though there are 2 versions of the kit then - the version that I've got, designed for cars with removable diagonals and the version John Coates has/you've been sent, which is for cars without the diagonals. It's annoying to have to stop mid-work but hopefully Gary can get the replacement parts over to you quickly (I've still got a lower nearside wishbone on my shelf 'cos I got 2 nearside ones by accident in my first order)

On a positive note, the nickel finish looks great. (I'm also envious of the bench-mounted press in one of one pictures. *smile*)

I was wrong Daren, those are flexible hoses on the front wishbone. I had another look, and zoomed in. I guess you could plug the hole with a grommet.

I think I prefer the way CC do it.

CH, bugger! At least you're on the same Island.

I see you been visiting the nickel plater *cool*

Which dampers are you fitting?

Paul, maybe Freestyle would make some diagonals to fit? Won't hurt to ask. *wink*