Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rear reversing light and fog light

RiF

Can anyone tell me how the reversing light and fog light are fixed to the body "normally by CC"???

Are they bolted from inside the rear panel though to the casing of the light or attached to riv-nuts in the skin with a bolt through the light case?

RiF Driving one of the first Duratec 7, and building CA07BON for Henrietta 😬 😬 😬.for pictures of 7 and carbon andCA07BON

Richard, on my 93 (which may be the same as more recent cars, as I don't think the lights have changed) there's a pair of M5 studs in the body of the lamp, then nutted onto the rear skin. Impossible to get at or remove without removing the fuel tank.

Alex McDonald

A loud 1700 SS in bits

Acid test; is there a setscrew head on the inside of the lights when you remove the reflector? Which is difficult to do because the wiring will be holding the reflector/bulb combo very tight. Mine are studs in the plastic; nothing to undo from inside the light. *confused* *confused* *confused*

Alex McDonald

A loud 1700 SS in bits

Mine are two M6 or M5 (I'll check later) bolts that have been moulded into the light back and then fixed with nylocs (I guess).

Are you making some carbon ones? If so will they still need the little wedgie thing?

I've just finished cutting a spare set down and am converting them to LED, They are about half the depth of the originals now.

Cheers

Ivan

• Area Representative

Richard

On my 2000 car the lights are held on by M5 nuts and bolts. The bolt are located in a recess inside the plastic light and secured by nuts on the inside of the alluminium back panel. As has already been said, you need to move the tank to get at the nuts. On later cars they fitted rivnuts to the back panel and used M5 bolts with a washer to secure the lights. I have a new reversing light to fit and am in the midst of changing over to rivnuts. A much better solution, and I was already committed to moving the tank to replace the rubbers which it sits on, as they seemed to have slipped out in one part.

Paul Richards

Area Representative - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

LADS Website

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

Richard, rivnuts on my car too. Just as well since the fuel tank has the honeycomb protection, and the fuel tank ain't coming out with the amount of fire-retardant gloop they fixed the boot floor in with....

Watch the cable routing (esp with honeycomb) it's easy to get it nipped between tank/ skin/ tubing!

Martin

supersported ex-Roadsports B

Thanks for your feed back 😬

That is sort of what I expected.

Ivan, yes we are and you won't need the wedge. Would be very interested in your LED version as once the wedge shape is added it does make a very bulky fitment using the original parts. Just playing around at the moment for Henrietta's car *wink*

RiF Driving one of the first Duratec 7, and building CA07BON for Henrietta 😬 😬 😬.for pictures of 7 and carbon andCA07BON

Sounds good *thumbup*

I'll try and take some pictures over the weekend and post them. Basically it's an array of 20 red or white LEDs on a PCB (veroboard at the moment). For the case I machined down both the lens and the mount and they are now almost half the depth of the original units. The only thing is, I am not too sure how strong the fixing posts on the lenses are now where I had to machine them down, time will tell *smile*

Ivan