Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Idiots guide to duratec variants please

ben7

Following on from the thread re VAT on 2nd hand engines, I was wondering whether anybody could provide an idiots guide to the numerous duratec variants.

I've tried Wiki, which provides a decent overview, but the more you cross reference other entries (say Focus or Mondeo), the more they appear to contradict each other.

So for us poor se7eners on a limited budget, or who want to look at going down the duratec route via a 2nd hand unit that you can exchange relatively cheaply when you blow it up, can anybody let us know which tintop cars/models we need to be looking for.

Help would be greatly appreciated *thumbup*

Ben

Copied from the other thread ...

Brent:

The Ranger is an American built pickup truck that uses the Duratec (2.3 usually). You need the Duratec I4 series engine, typically from the Mondeo. I'm not sure which Mazda uses it but I imagine the Mazda 6 is the most likely recipient.

and

Alternatively, talk to our very own tame Duratec tuner Ammo for information about which is the best engine. Furthermore, he will build you a cracker of an engine that will make big numbers very reliably - allegedly! *wink*

Hi Ben , have you sold the old engine yet?

I seem to remember that when the Duratec was first fitted to Mondeos it was restricted to the top spec 2 litre models like the Ghia while lesser two lite models had a zetec.

I'm sure it is fitted to the Mazda 6 and the new mx5. It may be a duratec in the new shape focus but the previous shape were zetecs with duratec badging!

Probably best to check for an alloy block?

You see Mark, that's the problem. There's a 'duratec' on ebay at the moment here for example. It's from a 03 plate mondeo Ghia X.

It says it's a duratec, but I think it's a modified zetec type duratec, rather than a duratec, duratec IYSWM *confused*

The last incarnation of the Mondeo with the 2L petrol engines were all fitted with the Duratec I4 engine, despite the occasional 'Zetec' nomenclature which, confusingly, denoted a certain trim level rather than engine type.

I'm also pretty sure that the Focus of the more recent body style always used a Duratec I4 in 2L form whilst the earlier (original) body style used the Zetec engine.

Damned confusing of Ford as the Duratec and Zetec names have been used to denote not only very different engines but trim levels as well. *confused*

The '03 Mondeo Ghia should have the Duratec IIRC.

Brent

(aka Arfur Nayo)

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬