Click here if you are having website access problems ×

O/T how difficult to change gearbox on Renault Scenic?

Peter Carmichael

I have worked on transverse cars where you can split engine and box in situ for clutch replacement etc. Early Fiesta is a case in point. Modern engine bays may be harder.

Transverse box and 4WD though, sounds tough. I'm sure a man of your means can do it albeit with a certain amount of swearing. Given the shape of the car, does the engine come out from below? This is very common and easy to arrange if you have a 4 post lift as garages do - unbolt eevrything, put a cradle under the car, lift the car up and leave the engine behind. It's safer this way apart from anything else, there are no big lumps of metal dangling from chains. This may be your biggest problem if you have only a crane, it's hard to get the front end high enough to pull the engine out.

• Area Representative

I have a new Scenic which had a very slightly leaky radiator from new. Repaired under warranty with no problems (and truly excellent service).

I saw the car when they were working on it and they had to dismantle what seemed like most of the car to get at the radiator. On that basis, goodness knows what you'll need to remove for a gearbox!!!

Paul Richards

Area Representative - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

LADS Website

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

you can get the gearbox out by seperating it from the engine, you will need to let the n/s end of the front sub frame drop by a few inches to get enough clearance to pull the box out. A 2 post ramp would make life simple, but otherwise support the car on the body with the axle stands out of the way of the subframe.