Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K-series camcover mini-BB: We're ready to go

k80rum

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's my understanding of the EU2 / EU3 cam cover differences too Mav, I can see the first time would require some R&D but maybe now that's been done once, it wouldn't be so much. We'll need JT to confirm one way or another.

I may well be wrong but isn't the EU3 camcover as you say, essentially an EU2 one that has a tapped hole for an exhaust cam phase sensor, and mounting posts for the two coilpacks?

Of course it also depends where the EU3 cost increase is taken from - the dry sump cover is cheaper that the wet sump one, since it doesn't have have the oil filler manufacture involved.

Darren E

K80RUM Website and Emerald maps library

Superlight R #54

Edited by - k80rum on 24 Jan 2008 18:57:41

I don't know what is involved in the extra work to produce the EU3 cover but a great deal of the cost of this sort of work with CNC machines is in the setting up.

If the EU2 wet and dry sump covers can be produced without any changes being made to the tool heads but the EU3 cover requires a tool change then I can quite understand the extra cost.

We get our mirror brackets done "on the cheap" which is why we were able to sort them out at a reasonable cost where others had failed. The true commercial price would be somewhat greater than we get them done for. With that in mind we have had to elongate the pin hole for a single pair and the cost of that one operation was more than several sets of the standard brackets.

Bespoke or low volume machining is very expensive.

Keep off the straight and narrow *tongue* 😬

It would've done if I'd realised.. *tongue*

A quick update to say I've been in email contact with the right honorable Mr Thompson to ask whether there's any chance of us going with 10 orders, as we seem to have stalled at this figure and the longer we wait to get more buyers, the more chance there is of someone needing to drop out.

Julian reckons 10 is do-able and is getting us some final costs for the different versions. He's hoping to be able to get back to us early next week *thumbup*

Darren E

Superlight R #54

According to Julian, the original batch included a one-off EU3 version that was made to spec but it was considerably more expensive because of the extra machining (and no doubt R&D work) that went into it.

I can ask the question if you like. I'd imagine a ballpark figure is likely to be equal or slightly higher than that of the competition one though. Julian's comment on EU3 covers was: "The EU3 wet sump one will be a lot more money, I am sure - and I'll need the existing cam cover "

Hope this helps. It possibly does, but maybe not in the right way ☹️

Nifty, Dazzled, Ian - still waiting to hear from you *thumbup*

Darren E

Superlight R #54

Edited by - k80rum on 29 Jan 2008 22:48:32

Unfortnately, Dazzled's had to drop out, so we're down to 9 names and need 10.

Come on, one of you EU2-engined owners reading this must want one! It will set your engine bay off nicely. They do make the head look incredibly low-profile and will have casual observers trying to guess what engine you have *biggrin*

Nifty: I'm worried you've been abducted by aliens (or are rescuing another Combine from a sink-hole) *tongue* - I've had no Nay or Yay from you yet..

Darren E

Superlight R #54

Edited by - k80rum on 31 Jan 2008 17:35:16

I'm really sorry Nifty, still nothing's come through ☹️ I've checked my junk email and deleted item folders too 'just in case'

If you'd rather ring, I should be around all weekend on 0777-6165069, or anything sent through to my work mail should 😔 find it's way to me - darren(dot)elmslie(at)logicacmg(dot)com

Apologies once again if the problem's my end..

Darren E

Superlight R #54

>

Mine is an EU2 but the problem is it's effectively EU3 above the cams as it's running twincoil wasted spark....but it's a dry sump anyway.

IF you have something suitable, I'd be interested, if not, not to worry! I have a Lotus Performance modern Exige type plastic camcover anyway....not as pretty but keeps the mice out.

Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds..ooooh hooo hooo!!...

😬 😬Abbey Road Time-Machine *eek* *eek*

It sounds as though an EU2 dry sump cover should fit fine UncleF, but the EU3-type twin coil packs aren't going to have anywhere to mount 'as it comes'.

I guess if you were to fabricate a mounting bracket for them, that used the camcover-fitting bolts in the centre that'd work quite well, but it's a bit of a personal thing - it may be more hassle than you'd want.

Two more buyers (or more 😬) still needed before we can go ahead and get these made. I'll mail Julian again towards the end of the week to see if 9 orders is possible, but he stipulated 10 as a minimum amount, and that's already a drop from 20.

Darren E

Superlight R #54

Edited by - k80rum on 4 Feb 2008 10:41:44

We've had another drop out unfortunately after Ian's realised he's got an Eu3 engine so is likely to run into trouble when it comes to refitting the ancillaries.

That takes us down to 8 orders ☹️ Sorry for those of you who are waiting.

I think the best thing for me to do is talk to Julian as promisedm and get a view on proceeding with the 8 orders we have.

If that's not possible or will push the price up, I will see if he's willing to give me the templates, so I can take on getting the 8 made up on the understanding that I don't profit from the venture or work he's already put in.

if Julian would rather pass on the templates, I could look into making up a pattern of my own, using my camcover as a template. If we end up pursuing this route, we should probably close the BB and I'll contact the people on the list again once I've got a product ready and the prices for it confirmed.

I'll report back later this week *thumbup*

Darren E

Superlight R #54