Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K-series camcover mini-BB: We're ready to go

k80rum

The reason for my post is to gauge interest for another batch of Julian T's very gorgeous K-series camcovers. I saw one in the flesh for the first time yesterday and was struck by how beautifully made and exceptionally practical it was.

There's a choice of;

i) Dry sump (with/without breathers, no filler),

ii) Wet sump (breathers)

iii) Competition (ingenious timing access holes)

They all lower the profile of the engine dramatically, give it a more 'competition' look, rather than a mass-produced tintop motor, and in the case of the timing access holes, allow dial gauges for cam timing to be mounted in situ, rather than taking anything off - genius!

UPDATE from Julian - 26/01/08

The price is just under 25% more than 2002 which I don't think is bad bearing in mind that we are making only half as many units and also bearing in mind that this time I won't be able to put my own time in for free (last time I actually machined quite a bit myself and did not charge the project any money - this time I won't be able to do any work so Tony will have to do it all himself. His cost is £25 per hour INCLUDING the use of the machine shop so I think that's exceptional value). Also it is worth reiterating that HE30 Dural has more than doubled in price since 2002!

So - waffle over - here are the costs!

Covers

Dry sump cover £150 - here

Wet sump cover £235- here

Competition dry sump cover £235 - here

Breather options

Apollo oil return adaptor £20- here

Small oil breather £20 - here

Please note that I will need the final unique spec of each cover as obviously the machining for breather equipped covers is different than standard covers. Once the covers have been machined it won't be possible to alter the spec!

Last time anodising was a complete Kerfuffle as they took ages to get done since I had to wait for a batch of anodising to be done in each colour since our requirements were so small for each colour. If everyone really wanted anodising then I could get it done but it won't be too cheap, because we'd have to have city link there and back and there would be a significant delay. I would suggest that to keep everything "in house" here at Thompsons and thus keep it smooth we would be best not doing the anodising

8<------------------------------------------------------------------------------------>8

From a personal point of view, so far as anodising goes I'm happy to find a local place and get mine done. But other people may not feel the same. This post, back in 2002, shows that an apollo tank was done for £20, as were a set of cam pulleys - it's very likely that a friendly local firm would do the job in a spare moment without it costing the earth. Another advantage would be getting to see/choose your colour rather than hoping the colour someone's picked is correct.

latest update - 09/02/08

We've got the green light from Julian to proceed with the 9 orders as they stand. I will post properly on Sunday, when I have some time. But it looks as though we will be kicking things off in the coming week. I'll contact everyone offline with their order summary/invoice and to collate your delivery details.

Bulk buy applicants

Those in orange are confirmed as happy with price, sorting out anodising and want to go ahead and place an order:

Darren E - Dry sump version (1 x breather)

Nifty - Competition Dry sump version (1 x breather)

Nick P- Dry sump (1 x breather)

Tony M - Wet sump version (1 x breather,apollo)

Quirin - 1 x Competition wet sump version (1 x breather, apollo), 1 x Competition dry sump version (1 x breather)

Tor Atle - Dry sump version (no breather)

John Coates - Dry sump version (1 x breather)

Steve N - Dry sump version (1 x breather)

Darren E

Edited by - k80rum on 9 Feb 2008 20:25:52

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cor.. I've never seen those before.

I would certainly be interested in a racing cam cover, dependent on cost.

Do you have someone sorted out to manufacture because if not Ernie and I may well be able to help out.

Keep off the straight and narrow *tongue* 😬

I'm not sure how I missed them Nifty, but I'd never realised they existed until I saw this one and searched back through the archives..

Julian intimated that he would be able to do another run, through his original manufacturer - this may make life easier but it's good to have a fallback in case that proves to be a problem.

That's 2 potential names down. 18 to go.. *thumbup*

Darren E

K80RUM Website and Emerald maps library

Superlight R #54

Good question *idea* I'll find out. Hopefully JT will be along soon to answer.

It's only a supposition, but it the VVC gubbins don't use up any more height inside the camcover (isn't the VVC part of things on the outside of the head, like the distributor?), I don't see why it shouldn't..

Darren E

Superlight R #54

Darren, you know that they will fit a VVC head - What do you think it was bolted to when you saw it in the "Pitlane" yesterday!

With all those blanking plates on my head, where the VVC gubbins had been dumped, you could hardly miss that mine had started life as a VVC head.

Clearly, it made an impression on you. I had better increase the security around the Pitlane if this BB fails... and I had thought that ten dogs were enough!

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 230bhp Sausage delivery machine

Doh!

Thanks for confirming it John. My excuse is I was focused on the camcover and airfilter, therefore too busy going 🥰 to notice the VVC blanking plate.

Anyway, watching Thomas 'The Mad Dentist' flowing his head in the pitlane would be enough to make anyone forget.. *tongue*

I don't think ANY of the dogs barked on my return for the laptop, so beware.... 😬

Well, there you go Jack and Dazzled - you have your answer *thumbup*

Darren E

Superlight R #54

Edited by - k80rum on 21 Jan 2008 18:34:12

Actually if you could get about 12 names I think we could still do them for £150 but I reckon that it would be best to avoid anodising this time as it took a lot of extra effort to get the originals up to the anodisers and then get them all back and linish the tops etc..

I'm sorry I'm not really on BC much at present as I'm engaged heavily at work at the moment, hence Darren will co-ordinate with me via email and I'll drop in from time to time to see what's happening!

*thumbup*

Thanks Mr T *smile* 😶‍🌫️

half way there then, potentially!

As Julian says, I'm happy to continue co-ordinating this. If those putting their names forward could let me know what they're after either via email or on here, that may help when it comes to finalising prices.

For example, I'll be going for a race version with one breather. Personally I'm happy for mine to be non-anodised. It'll be cheaper, quicker and I wanted mine in silver (my present camcover has been sanded back to ali for 3 yrs without problems, although any camcovers could of course be anodised at any point if you wanted to *thumbup*

Darren E

Superlight R #54

Edited by - k80rum on 21 Jan 2008 21:24:22

Edited by - k80rum on 21 Jan 2008 21:25:33

Quirin: *eek* Great stuff! Name added for two

Good point Mav, a one-off EU3 model has been made in the past, so JT should have a template for these. He did mention that the EU3 model cost was significantly more than the EU2 version (by around £100) because of extra work involved over and above the EU2 runs. As the saying goes though, everything's possible *smile*

Darren E

Superlight R #54

Edited by - k80rum on 21 Jan 2008 22:30:49