Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Xflow - it goes but 'clacking' from engine! - Update!

RogNeedham

• Leadership Team

I finally got everything sorted today and turned the key - it started after a couple of pumps of the throttle. 😬 😬

I've adjusted the inlet valves to .20mm and exhaust to .22mm (cold). Engine runs smoothly at idle. Oil pressure steady at 60lb ft at c.1000rpm tickover.

I havent driven it on road yet - largely because I'm concerned about the 'clacking' noise which seems to come from the nearside of the engine.

Engine is the 1700 SPR unit I bought earlier in the year

JUST SPOKEN TO CHRIS WHEELER AT 7 WORKSHOP. WITHOUT PROMPTING HIM WHEN MENTIONING I HAD AN SPR ENGINE, HE IMMEDIATELY SAID THAT ENGINE MAKES A RACKET AT IDLE. APPARENTLY THEY WERE FITTED AN LIGHTWEIGHT USA SOURCED PISTON. HE SERVICES A COUPLE OF OTHER SPR ENGINES AND THEY'RE THE SAME. JUST SUGGESTED A COMPRESSION TEST AND THEN DRIVE IT WITH EARPLUGS UNTIL WARMED UP..............SO I'M FEELING A BIT BETTER NOW - ROG

any advice 🤔

Rog

Edited by - RogNeedham on 22 Jan 2008 11:42:07

Engine noises are notoriously difficult to pin point, but a clacking noise suggests a non-moving part that is moving if the engine is running smoothly. Anything inside the block that was making that much noise would damage the engine pretty rapidly. Things I'd check

1. engine mounts since you've had the engine out

2. exhaust touching the skin on the way out

3. tool under the rocker cover (don't laugh, I left a set of feelers there once)

4. loose external bolt (gearbox bellhousing for instance)

5. clutch arm rattling

List isn't exhaustive, but most of these I've had make a noise.

Alex McDonald

A loud 1700 SS in bits

• Leadership Team

mmm - food for thought. Have had a look at the gaskets and they're new copper ones. my reputation goes before me eh Ian 😬

no tools under the rocker cover *eek*

bottom of sump is a bit dented but not by much at all - will take a closer look *thumbup*

if anyone's over this way next weekend - would appreciate a second opinion *thumbup*

Rog

Check the alternator bolts as well - if they are loose it can be difficult to pinpoint. Second the manifold gasket, but this should be fairly easy to spot as there will be a mark (soot) where the gasket is leaking.

Whereabouts are you Rog?

Terry

1700XF - Team Lotus with flares.

• Leadership Team

thx all for the comments: Terry I'm in Derby (a long way from W.Sussex)

have been in the garage again this evening and have checked

alternator bolts - ok

exhaust not fouling body

gearbox bolts - ok

gaskets not blowing

engine mounts ok

in fact listening to it more - I think 'tractor'.....but it runs smoothly and starts easily. It's almost a diesel like clatter

got a local mechanic mate calling round tomorrow to have a listen

thanks Ian for the time earlier

Rog *thumbup*

Chris is correct. The early SPR engines used an American piston which has different tapering, barrelling and ovality to the more common Accralites or Omegas. The material also has a different expansion rate.

The result is that the engines are 'clonky' at idle, particularly when cold, but this is normal. On the plus side, you could belt one of the pistons with a sledgehammer and it would just bounce off (slight exaggeration, but you get the point.)

Of course I haven't heard it running so I can't be certain that this is true in this case.

• Leadership Team

thanks Roger for your clarification. *thumbup* having done a 'search' on SPR I've noted where the engine number is to be found - so once this damn bug will allow me to venture more than 10 yards from the bathroom, I will investigate further.

One other observation was that when I increased the revs (2500RPM +) the clatter disappears.

thanks again

Rog

"One other observation was that when I increased the revs (2500RPM +) the clatter disappears."

This sounds like it might be the gearbox that you can hear. The type 9, for reasons which the more technically minded than me can explain, often clatter at low revs. I used to think this was a major problem but it is a case of TADTS, and a small increase in idle revs (1000 / 1100) will probably eliminate the problem. If this is what it is, it is nothing to worry about.

Regards

Terry

1700XF - Team Lotus with flares.

• Leadership Team
thx all for the suggestions. Compression tested it today -all reading c.7.5barwith engine barely warm. Took it for a run round and bar a bit of spitting from the carbs and split top hose (now fixed) all seemed ok *wavey*