Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Can't fit rear NitronsFIXED

Mcalvert

• Leadership Team

I'm having trouble fitting my new rear Nitron dampers. With the top hats and runner washers fitted, they seem to be a couple of mm wider than my old AVOs and won't fit between the brackets ☹️

Am I doing anything obvious wrong, or do Nitron do different size top hats for different cars?

Thanks - Michael.

Edited by - Mcalvert on 20 Jan 2008 15:45:41

• Leadership Team

Just found that the top hats packed with the front dampers are thinner so used them instead. May have moved the problem for when I come to do the front - we'll see!

Thanks - Michael.

Michael,

I had exactly this problem on my 1993 De Dion chassis. The damper and top hat shims were 35mm wide and the rear damper mount was 32mm wide. I phoned Nitron and they very unhelpfully told me that 35mm was the correct width. After more measuring and several phone calls, they reluctantly agreed to send me some smaller shims. However, in the mean time I got the local engineering firm (Precision Oil Tools in Dyce *thumbup*) to turn me some new ones. The locally made ones were a perfect fit.

Michael,

No, the bag of shims were (I think) all the same size.

I guess I could have done what Gambo did and grind them down but was a bit miffed that Nitron couldn't get this small part of the product right. I would have probably made an @rse of the job trying to grind them down anyway ☹️