Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Is it just me or is that just rubbish?

Gridgway

I was going to post on technical update number two, but thought that just too churlish!

So Mr CC, is that the best you can do?

The engines are, what did you say..?

Hand built, race tuned cossie engines.

Need more maintenance you say. Ok I'm with that, tell me more.

Oh, they run all day long in races with just a bit of topping up. Er ok.

So better pay attention then. Right oh.

Check the oil with the dipstick, which frankly is crap, so, pour oil in until it comes out the top. Oh, okey dokey then.

And one more thing. Ahh this'll be the super-duper maintenance schedule.

Don't revs the nuts off it or you'll knacker it.

Excellent, thanks for that. Let me see if I have got it. Bung oil in and don't shag it. Got it. Is F1 this sophisticated?

Graham

PS Sorry James

Edited by - gridgway on 14 Jan 2008 21:32:47

I guess its just to ensure that the muppets who shift from 5th to 2nd and then try and apportion blame know that the compypooter doesnt tell porkies 😶‍🌫️

and that the duranail does drink a drop of oil unlike the owners other cars ..... Porker GT3's, Mondeo, Austin Princess etc etc *tongue*

I notice they didnt mention cement bags *rolleyes*

Taxi ....

here is C7 TOP

Taffia rear gunner

below the belt or what DJ??!! The cement could've happened to anyone. The reference made Mrs Gridgway laugh tho'! Anyway, I have it on good authority that the cement treatment creates exceptional long life (it only went bang at the end of last season apparently).

Besides, my GT3 does use a bit of oil, alhough I can check the level by pressing a button whilst sat in traffic actually!

Graham

Edited by - Gridgway on 14 Jan 2008 21:39:31

Blimey! I think you're all being a bit unfair here.

James has made a few perfectly reasonable points - there is a revised dipstick, oil level is important, checking the oil level is essential, it is possible to over-rev by changing down at the wrong moment.

Well, it may all be basic common sense for an experienced track driver, but many less experienced are unaware that oil level is quite so critical on-track, as indeed they will be surprised by the potential oil consumption under the conditions.

And I've had more than one customer who initially didn't realise that you could buzz an engine on downshift until it was explained (and others who thought it didn't matter "because the engine isn't under power".)

I'm sure Caterham are sensible in giving basic advice rather than assuming that everyone knows everything there is to know. Incidentally, I have just been sailing (in a force 8) for only the second time in my life and I can assure you that all the 'obvious' stuff is only obvious to those with experience.

I think I may have been less inclined to *light-heartedly* take the p, if it hadn't been dressed up in a mumbo-jumbo of pseudo motorsport tech/marketing/CSR bulletin speak!!

It's true that novices may not know to check the oil a lot on track (although it's oft mentioned at the briefing) nor know what a mechanical over-rev is, but by and large it's common to all cars used on track (well all cars as my wife points out), and not part of some special CSR maintenance schedule.

Graham