Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Plywood boot floor

Julian Thompson

Its a crash protection issue aparently and should be left as is. I've thought about covering it with a thin strip of carbon but then its in the boot, you hardly ever see it. I dont know what would happen if you replaced it with ali honeycomb (not that its easy to come by).

I'm sure Arnie will have done something novel with it.

BC

on the subject why is the floor half honeycomb and half plywood? i realise it needs to be in too bits to get it fitted but why not make it all of the same material? i suspect carbon would get too scratched but ali honeycomb would be good. hmm - would be especially good if coated with the vinyl stuff on the cockpit sides, would prevent the black ali gunk that comes off staining your luggage...

Dave Hooper - North London

dmch2@lineone.net

The floor is plywood as a cost measure. You can (from Caterham) get a "race" honeycombe panel to replace the plywood floor, but be aware the entire contents of your boot get ingrained with black and silver aluminium residue. Not good if it gets on your weather gear!

I have an all honeycomb floor with the internal surfaces of the floor covered in tank tape. That way anything I put in the boot retains its original colouring!

Fat Arn

Visit the K2 RUM siteid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>

Edited by - Fat Arnie on 13 May 2002 22:40:24

What's wrong with plywoodquestion.gif F1 cars still have plywood on them.

And...isn't putting CF or ally on top of something not sort of...well...defeating the idea, like the takky CF top yolk cover on Born again Bikers' R1squestion.gif

Mark (Ducks...hides behind CF covered setteesmile.gif)

• Leadership Team

All the race cars are specified with a honeycomb boot floor for the obvious safety reasons which makes good sense for road use - as mine is honeycomb I would find it strange to put up with a fairly naff piece of plywood. And yes I have covered it in carpet (676 grams - I go for a p£ss before a blat to counterbalance the extra weight)which prevents any of the black residue problems.

Stu.

I thought the approved race set-up was honeycomb for the rear bit (above the tank) and plain alu for the front bit. ie Alu all over 'cos it's easier to make fire retentive, but deformable in the front bit. The honeycomb supposedly helps reduce the likelyhood of the tank being crushed, but is it good to have a near continuous area of honeycomb edge-on to the middle of your back? Suppose it depends how likely one is to ride up over the other like sliding doors and how square-on the impact is...

I opted for a honeycomb/plywood combo.

You can't see the bloody plywood anyway, so who cares?

I recently replaced my tired wood bootfloor with the honeycomb ali version from Caterham. Cost around £65, but if you want to do it properly and you have an FIA bar fitted, you'll need to have it removed first as the floor doesn't go straight in (unlike the wood one)

I didn't do this, but ended up hacking pieces off it to get it in. This does have the advantage that if you do need to take it out for any reason, you can do so without taking the bar off again.

It is also covered with carpet to stop the problem Arnie describes

Probably not the recommended route though smile.gif

SteveP

Tony,

Obviously I didn't then but there just seemed no way it was going in whole. Plus, I got very hacked off over scraping bits of paint off the roll bar and boot with the very sharp edges of the ali floor! So out came the jigsaw....

SteveP

That's true Steve... I did some scraping the first few times... but eventually discovered that if you juggle long enough you eventually find the one angle that works! Strange how it goes back in much more easily though...

Unless you are in the habit of carrying your spare nuts, bolts and washers loose in the boot, a little trim is probably a smart move! (And tape over the sharp edges).

I have just asked Caterham to add the Fuel Tank Protection kit to my 1.6 SL order.

They have not yet confirmed the price but I believe it is around £120.

My mate hit the tyre wall (backwards) at Cadwell (Gooseneck) and the A frame ruptured his fuel tank and caught fire.

The honeycombe kit would have softened the impact.

TonyR

Edited by - tonyr on 16 May 2002 15:07:58

>i have an new/unused aluminium floor that goes over the wood if interested. still has blue >film on the ally

Nick, can you supply some more details? I didn't even know such an official thing existed! ie a picture, price etc?

Dave Hooper - North London

dmch2@lineone.net

My 1.4 K has ali panel over the wooden boot floor piece, & the whole thing is covered by the boot carpet. When waxoiling the car I took out the boot floor to spray the top of the diff. I also took the opportunity to Cuprinol the wooden panel. Not for longevity, you understand, I just wanted to imagine I had a Morgan or a Moggi Traveller!!

Is that the only bit of wood lurking in my 7?