Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Xflow tappet clearances???

Unclefester

I'm a bit short of info on the proper clearances for a 1600 crossflow engine. The car seems to have a mild cam, though I've no idea exactly what cam it is.

It may be the engine ArrowStar raced with in the 1993 Performance Car Caterham Seven Trophy (class C) which diodn't allow much deviation from stock Sprint configuration.

I've read that on the 1700 SS it's inlet 22 thou, exhaust 24 thou.

Would this be right for the 1600 Sprint as well?

Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds..ooooh hooo hooo!!...

😬 😬Abbey Road Time-Machine *eek* *eek*

Valve clearance is cam dependant so you can not transfer the values from a super sprint car. The SS car will run a kent KC234 cam the sprint something milder. I am sure someone who know the cam specification will be along in a second.

Jorgen

Great! Thanks for that! *thumbup*

I was just about to start, plugs out, when I thought to myself "What size is the crank pulley bolt....17mm ish?"

Felt it, and was surprised to find no bolt .....checked with mirror, still no bolt!!

In fact, as I've been fitting a dry sump, and it's a front mounted oil pump, I had to get new pulleys, the wide toothed belt type from Burtons. Because of the offset on this system, I need to find a bolt with a 65mm shank tomorrow before setting the gaps.

This is the problem with starting a job, then leaving it for months.....so easy to forget things....

BTW, what should the plug gap be?

Edited by - Unclefester on 13 Jan 2008 21:23:44

*arrowup*You using invisible ink Gavin? *tongue*

My tappet job is postponed, as I need to find a crank pulley bolt with shank of 65mm due to the BurtonPower toothed belt pulleys being much deeper/more offset than the originals.

Also need a taper threaded plug for the oil pressure takeoff hole in right side of block at the front.

This was to be the point at which the oil returned, fortunately I didn't use it, as my pipe connection was a male NON-TAPERED thread, which would possibly have gone in if I'd mullered it, but would have created lots of lovely steel swarf and wrecked the engine in record time.

Thank the wossnames I had decided it was a bad idea to use this hole as it restricts flow, and had made up a special plate with a humungous oil entry so it shoots into the gallery by the same hole as with the original pump/filter block.

I'm going to get this car going by spring, one way or another......I hope!

Maybe. *rolleyes*

Edited by - Unclefester on 14 Jan 2008 17:27:35