Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Next upgrade choice to lower sprint times...

bstark

It's that time of year where I start thinking about where (if at all) to spend money on my car in a few months time. It's a basically standard Ital axled 4 speed 1700 Xflow with stiffer springs and a Quaife LSD currently running on 185/70 R13 AO21R's.

I use it on the road mainly, together with several sprint events in the SEMSEC series. It is a lovely road car (screen, heater and so on) first and foremost, and an effective, fun track car second.

My best time for the Lydden Hill sprint is 87.93 secs and I am looking to reduce that without adversely affecting the car's on-road manners or nature. Oh, and I don't have piles of cash! 🙆🏻

So, what do people think will be the most effective upgrade laptime-wise?

My thoughts are:

a/ Get a spare set of wheels with super soft 185/60 AO48R rubber fitted just for sprints (bit concerned about the limitations of the Ital axle, but its well glued toegther - literally, and has the LSD fitted)

b/ Fit better brakes / pads. Currently have spitfire discs/calipers and M1144 pads, and std Ital drums/shoes on the back which are great on the road but I'm sure could be improved for the track.

c/ Improve the gear ratios - BGH long 1st, and closer 2nd and 3rd. Sounds expensive, though...

d/ anything else? (but please forget weight-saving along the lines of ditch the heater / screen / wipers etc. - I like the 'practicalities' just as they are! *wink*)

Bob Stark

Supersprinter

• Area Representative

Tyres *thumbup*

I'd guess that V70's or R888s would be worth 2-3 seconds on a 85-90 second sprint time. They'll make much more difference than springs and dampers (unless yor existing ones are shot!).

Standard brakes are adequate. If big brakes were worth half a second, I'd have them, but I don't!

Edited by - Richard Price on 13 Jan 2008 23:37:20

So... tyres it is, then! *thumbup* I hadn't heard of the V70's...

Dave - the first 150bhp would be nice 😬 (guessing around 130bhp at the mo...).

re: Quick fit aero - how "quick" and easy is it to switch between the two?

Thanks for the responses *thumbup*

Bob Stark

Supersprinter