Click here if you are having website access problems ×

children !

robert price

I regularly take my 22 month daughter in the car. I use an ordinary Britax child seat, held in place in the conventional manner with the seatbelt. Some of the "fatter" seats don't fit.

This doesn't really help you I'm afraid because the whole process is made simple in my case by the inertia reel belts. Because one is easily able to pull out a good amount of slack one can loop the webbing through the seat and fix the belt before letting the seat down into position and taking up the slack.

Could you attach a length of string to the belt and thread that through the seat, pulling the belt with it, before plugging in?

She absolutely loves going in the car though. I mean really gets a kick out of it. Which is just as well because it's all I've got.

My son's nearly three and sits in a seat that just fits into the passenger seat. I can't remember what it's called (I'll check tonight and post name tomorrow) but the belt is afixed through the back of the car seat (so you don't need 27 yards of slack to fit it). It also means that for a static belt you can pretty accurately measure how much you will need before fitting the seat.

Charles

But I don't think they will fit a Clasic SE as there is nowhere for the upper mounting point (to go to the inertia reel). This is why they have the static lap & diagonal. Otherwise, I might have been silly and bought inertai reel rather than 4 point when I initialy bought the car!

Sorry to be the bearer of bad newssad.gif

Cheers,

Graham

Edited by - Graham Sewell on 11 Aug 2000 15:54:18

• Area Representative

Can't help with seat types and belts I'm afraid - all I know is that when I attempted to take my niece for a spin the child seat out of my brothers car fitted perfectly (if a bit snugly) and the static diagonal belt on my live axle car went round it OK.

I say "attempted" cos the moment I started the engine she burst into tears and couldn't get out quick enough! It was that instantaneous, I was wondering if she might have been wired into the ignition circuit. I did feel sorry for her as she'd been looking forward to a ride in "Uncle Richard's Racing Car" for weeks.

I suppose the point I'm trying to make is errr, what was it again? Oh that was it: MAKE SURE YOU PROVIDE YOUNG CHILDREN WITH ADEQUATE EAR PROTECTION. It sounds simply loud to us; it must be like armageddon to their tender ears :-(.

Crudders

I've similar experience as crudders. I also made the mistake of thinking my (then) 2 and a half year old would feel as cool as me streaking down the south circular without the sidescreens. He did, but not in the same sense. Like Crudders' neice, Louis must have thought he was being walloped about the head by some massive invisible git with a windy towel.

Chastened, I went back to cleaning the car, a habit Louis is quite happy to copy although I find that his approach leads to much water in the seats and footwells and very little on the paintwork. I dunno, when will kids learn?

Chlares

• Leadership Team

Robert,

My children have been using a kiddie seat I tailor made for them about 2 years ago. The youngest was then 3, the eldest is now 9, no problems with fit for either.

I used one of the old "Britax Super Cruiser" seats, being of the "expanded polystyrene" type. I butchered it with a bread knife until I was happy with the fit, adding bits where needed using gaffers tape. It now works as a booster cushion contoured to fit smaller bums. Sideways support is fine if you've got individual seats - your not going to drive like a loony with children in anyway.

The advantage of making your own is that you can create cutouts to facilitate the door stud, the seat belt etc. This method will work fine with any type of belt/harness. Incidentally, you cannot fit inertia reel belts to a live axle car because the car was not designed to take them.

Also because the child is held in by a recognised type of belt / mountings etc, you will not be breaking the law.

Stu.