Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Which Redline MTL ?

Dazzled

I just want clarity that it is the one I'm looking at and isn't any other variant of Red Line transmission fluid.

It's a job I've been putting off for ages as I still have fond memories of the taste of gearbox oil from when I did my build.

Incidentally Bertie did you refill yours through the filler plug or did you take the top of the casing off?

In that case, yes there is only one Redline MTL and yes that is the stuff.

You need to buy 2 bottles as one isn't enough.

There was no way the top of the gearbox casing was comming off, especialy with the restricted access of having the dry sump tower in front of it, so yes I did it through the filler.

But my top tips are to make sure you drain it when tepid, have a bit of a run round in it first, plus warm the new oil by shanding it in a bowl of very hot water to make it runny and much MUCH easier to get in. Then I fed a piece of clear plastic pipe into the hole on the side and brought it up, then I used a 100ml syringe ans squirted the nice warm new stuff down the tube.

Made it really easy.

HTH

Demon tweeks list a good funnel with a clear plastic tube ideal for the job

It also has a screw neck and plug to keep the hose clean. The funnel has a good size capacity so you can fill and let it drain in.

Part number is NIM112 - cost - £5.52 + vat

Thanks

Dave

On the advice of a fellow Sevener here in California, I removed the top plate of my BGH type 9 5-speed before installation and had a hole drilled in the forward left side corner into which I had a stepped O2 bung TIG welded. I still have to use the side plug as an overflow on the first fill-up to get the level right, but once that is done, I'll make a dipstick and never need to deal with that side plug again.

edit - forgot the oil part *redface*

Redline has two GL-4 gear oil products listed on their web page here: their "MTL" is 70W80 GL-4 gear oil, whereas their "MT-90" is a 75W90 GL-4 gear oil.

- Sean

Edited by - BBL on 11 Jan 2008 17:06:51

I did mine about a month ago, I tried using my oil removal suction pump, but there is nowhere suitable to stick it in.

So I used, and it's a crazy idea I know, the drain plug!

This has many advantages including meaning it totaly drains and you can remover tha alarming amount of metal from the magnetic drain plug, both not possible with the vacum pump.

Grubbster -

Rather stupidly I assumed that the 6 speed gearbox had a drain plug but I've not yet checked.

If it hasn't I'll either tip the car on its side and drain it through the filler, get Dirty Mary 😳 from the village to suck the contents out through a length of pipe or, most likely, just wait until the entire contents of the 'box has dripped out through the speedo drive onto the garage floor. *biggrin*