Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Intercom Systems

ewenm

Can anyone recommend a good intercom system for long distance road trips? Obviously there are lots of bike-specific products out there, but does anyone have a particular favourite?

Thanks,

Ewen

Ewen Malloch

P979TMV - Yellow 1.6 K Series

We use a Peltor in the rally car. Expensive but definetly well worth it, I wouldn't go rallying with anything else. Who wants to spend thousands of quid on a rally car, hundreds of quid on entries, tyres fuel etc then lose out 'cos a cheap intercom fails.

Perhaps OTT for occasional use in a seven though.

There are about three different intercoms in Demon Tweeks.. I have the Terrphone one and it has to be wired in to the car. See recent LowFlying mag.. Some of the others work on battries.

The Terrphone test head set are not that good if you have the hood up. they just increase the noise. without the hood up they are great on the mottorway.

I've got one of the OMP intercoms which seems OK so far with the (limited) use I've had (used with a helmet). I'm thinking of riggin up a non-helmet version and reckon that I could "adapt" a set of cheap "in-the-ear" headphones and a 5-pin DIN plug from Maplins. Has anyone done anything like this and have any comments on how easy/effective it is?

I use the Autocom system http://www.autocom.co.uk, got it originally for my bike but have since bought the headsets for using in the car without crash helmet. They are a bit pricey but they are one of the best.

They have been tested 200MPH+ by one of their corporate customers (Williams F1) but I can only vouch for 175MPH (on my Honda Blackbird in France before you ask).

They also have a connection for mobile phones and two way radios. They work brilliantly with the Motorola talkabout radios that you see in all the shops and I've used them all over Europe in both the car and on the bike.

I / we use the omp kit listed in the DT catalogue - about £45. This is powered by 2 9v batteries, and comes complete with the in helmet attachments. Practice headsets are also available which are great when you are not using the helmets.

Regards,

Martin

I use the Peltor system which I find really excellent. The quality is second to none and very versatile with the mobile phone and Walkman interface.

You can actually speak at normal conversation levels with your passenger at 90 mph +. I wouldn't go on a long trip without them.

Brent

Alex,

Apologies for delay in reply.

My Peltor system is the mono type with the full headsets c/w FT15? amplifier, car battery adaptor and mobile 'phone/RT/CD player interface.

Demon T. have the complete setup in their catalogue; not inexpensive but superb quality. If we bump into each other at a future meeting, you're welcome to try my car with the Peltors, I guarantee you will be impressed (with the Peltors that is, probably not the carsmile.gif)

Brent