Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Quick Racks?

Harry Flatters

I have been offered a 2nd hand rack (described as 22%) but it's the one that is less than 2 turns lock to lock (is that the 22% one?). My current rack is just over 2 turns lock to lock. If I were to change to the new one, what are these like on the road?

Thanks..... *thumbup*

*arrowright* *arrowright*Harry Flatters *arrowright* *arrowright* *thumbup*

AKA Steve Mell - Surrey AR and Su77on Se7ener

Steve,

My first 7 had the standard rack and was fine on the road. My second 7, was a Superlight with a quick rack and I found it very nervous on the road, constantly having to make minor corrections. I am now on my third 7 with a standard rack again and it feels great on the road, not nervous at all.

I've heard that the quick rack is great on the track though but I am ashamed to say that I haven't been on a track yet in any of my 7's *redface*

Cheerio

Simon

Steve

IIRC, Caterham used to do two types of rack - one for cycle wings, and one for clamshell, as well as two quicker ratios - 10% (I think) and 22%. The difference between them was that in the cycle rack there were end stops or similar to give less turning circle (to prevent the wheels hitting the bodywork on full lock). Whether all combinations (ie 6 different racks) were available I am not sure. You havent got one of these types have you ?

Caterham took my Superlight for a test drive and said it was fine and that the nervousness that I was feeling was just down to the differnce in the two racks and was just something to get used to. They checked camber, castor, tyre pressures, suspension alignment, checked the rack itself and said all was well. I never got to like it 100% and now I have a standard rack in my latest 7 it feels better, less nervous, maybe I'm just a fussy git *confused*

Edited by - Simon E on 4 Jan 2008 21:35:17

Steve, I nearly bought Peter's old one a while back and posed a similar question, back then concensus was that they're great for the track but would be too much work for the road especially with the miles I was doing so I stuck with the standard rack.

VX HPC - Loud and proud here

Watch out, whatever hits the fan will not be distributed evenly

Be somewhat wary of 2nd racks in any case. I ran one for almost two years (quick-rack allegedly, but the new one feels even quicker...) and it always seemed to have play in it that couldn't be adjusted out (mainly in the center)

In the end, it was truly horrible and had started to be noticed by scrutineers and so-on.

I replaced it with a new one and it transformed the car - I came back from the test-drive with a big grin. Partly due to the fact that the ratio felt quicker, but also because the wheels finally did exactly what I asked them to *wink*

Again, fine on the road - but you might want to try one in your area first. The amount of steering input needed to change lanes on the motorway is pretty teeny for instance...

Get it right, chaps...

Be somewhat wary of 2nd racks in any case
I know the source of this one so pretty OK with this.

Thanks for the tips chaps and offer to try Angus *thumbup*.

As RJ says, I will be hooning in said R400 in a couple of weeks at a track day in Sweden *eek* 😬.

*arrowright* *arrowright*Harry Flatters *arrowright* *arrowright* *thumbup*

AKA Steve Mell - Surrey AR and Su77on Se7ener

AFAIK the standard rack is 1.9 turns lock to lock and the 22% rack is 1.7. I have the 22% rack on my Superlight (Simon E's old car). I'm quite happy with this rack and to me the car doesn't seem nervous with it, although bumpy roads can be quite interesting sometimes 😬 The steering is quite heavy at low speed however. A plus point is when some opposite lock is required 😬 *eek*

Superlight #115