Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Quick release steering column

7Nut

Slight hijack...but I assume you've got your answer 😬

Anyone ever get play in the QR? I was in a single seater a week ago, and the play in the QR was incredible. I would imagine the wheel would be on/off alot more in it, than in a Caterham though.

Willie

A taper that moves when the splines are worn *confused*

To help resolve the wear, keep it lubricated, but mond your clothes if you do...

Wear was a big factor as the Caterham supplied ones were apparently made of the wrong materials, and wore quickly. Newer versions don't have this problem anymore, or so I am told.

Only dead fish go with the flow....!

Cagey,

I'm only thinking out loud. Most I've seen work on a hex bar and socket type of thing. Exactly the same as splines, pushing off/on is going to wear it.

A taper is an easy way to remove any wear/slack. Sierras use a tapered hex drive, with a bolt that tightens it all up nice. I'm sure it would be possible, to incorperate a taper, or some means of removing the slack, in the design. Major factor here is the cost of added complication.

Willie

Edited by - Opposite Lock on 3 Jan 2008 19:52:19

I understand, but the practicalities of it being quick release are lost if you have to adjust it on the splines. I too was thinking out loud.

I got through my quick release column in about 18 months in my Caterham before it was too slack to pass an MOT.

When I researched what to do, I was effectively told it was the materials Caterham had chosen to use...

I think the original column was nickel plated, which wore out quickly.

I now use my QR less than I did before....

It's also of a different design.

Only dead fish go with the flow....!

The main reason why the splines wear is that they are not a hardened steel material.

When steel is hardened it becomes very brittle and can snap in the event of a shock loading fracture which contravenes the safety to which car makers abide to.

The steering material has to bend in the event of a car crash loading so the material is quite soft in terms of wear and tear.This leads to wear on the splines on the removable steering wheel boss. *thumbup*

Peter...did Caterham tell you that when you complained? 😬

I don't think that theory would really apply to the boss. In my humble opinion, they should be hardened...its madness not to. In the event of a crash, I'd far rather have a wheel to hang onto, than the boss to snap and leave a sharp column to impale my eyeball.

Case hardening would be suitable, as it's only the mating faces (To a shallow depth) that are hardened...leaving the normal material underneath.

• Leadership Team

My last car had one (that I fitted) for around 6 to 7 years - very minor movement but no problems with wear.

My new car has the original that was fitted from new in 1999 - the same.

Both are Racetech (now checked!). Maybe not really a case of TADTS *confused* And I never lubricate the splined column, in fact I keep it wiped clean.

Unless dirt/grit gets onto the splines, removing and refitting the wheel cannot possibly be the cause of wear - the slight movement that will always exist in a splined joint will gain more wear during normal use through vibration and turning the wheel. It also has to be a parallel spline because any taper would add the possibility of the setup binding and not releasing in an emergency.

There was an issue with some of the columns some years ago that had more play from new than they should have. Also it is possible to lock the wheel on to the column whn it's not in the fully down position - this results in 1 - 2mm of fore/aft movement.

Stu.

www.superse7ens.co.uk..........the rebuild 😬

Edited by - sforshaw on 8 Jan 2008 18:50:34

Raceparts say theirs does not get the play in it. Made properly. They did supply CC for a while. We sell them but they need to be welded on! Stillpushing for an all in one version but like bashing my head against a wall with them.

RiF Driving one of the first Duratec 7, and building CA07BON for Henrietta 😬 😬 😬.for pictures of 7 and carbon andCA07BON

Raceparts say theirs does not get the play in it.

What would you expect them to say *confused* . . . "yes, our bosses are sh1te and develop play after a few miles". . . . no, of course not.

I bet Lifeline, Spa, and all the other QR boss manufacturers would say their bosses don't get play as well.

I suspect they're all much of a muchness and you're either lucky or not wrt whether yours wobbles or not.

• Leadership Team

Adam - I think that's maybe a tad unfair! We all have experience of our own cars and mostly heresay of others. Maybe a quick pole of QR columns would be more scientific:

I'll start:

2 x Racetech QRs, no excess play.

Who's next ?........

Stu.

www.superse7ens.co.uk..........the rebuild 😬

Edited because I really should check which QR is fitted before opening my mouth! Still no play though!

Edited by - sforshaw on 8 Jan 2008 18:49:02