Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Inertia switch – to fit or not?

Martin S.

• Support Team

Martin - ask Simon Rogers. His tripped on the curb at Pembrey resulting in a NTR for the day. A number of people actually bypass them for competition. NB this is the standard K series inertia switch.

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

Edited by - Shaun_E on 2 Jan 2008 16:55:28

I've had issues with mine tripping without real cause. However many years ago

I had a mate that was very badly burned in a TR6 that he crashed. No inertia switch, so the injection system kept feeding the fire with fuel. I remember that he got £40,000 for his injuries, this was at a time (1974) that claims pay-outs were relatively small, an "E' type V12 cost £3400 and you could buy a semi-detached for around £5000 in the midlands. So you can imagine the extent of his burns. I will re-site mine in the cockpit, so that when I have a problem I can simply reset it.

Sorry to be so graphic, but I hope it helps.

R600 VX here

I have one in my race car (in the cockpit). But just to put the other side, racers do have they trip going over curbs sometimes, and this has been actually known to *cause* accidents as the car following closely behind piles into them.

Charles

---

My SuperGraduates 2006 diary

My SuperGraduates 2005 diary, My Caterham Academy 2004 build and race diary

They do seem to vary in their sensitivity. Mine has never tripped (except when I've hit something hard or rolled it *eek*) and so I'm happy to have it. Chris DNFd at Snett when it cut out after a fairly minor run over the curbs.

Charles

---

My SuperGraduates 2006 diary

My SuperGraduates 2005 diary, My Caterham Academy 2004 build and race diary