Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

The story continues!! Just trying to service my daughters KA

Grubbster

Nice idea Graham *thumbup*

I think I will be pulling the plugs on a monthly basis now, I think the last owner took Atinods approach to maintenance ☹️.

Anyway, just collected the head - the 3 other plugs all failed in the same way as the one I removed, the guy reckoned the would have blown out if left much longer *eek* so good that I have had it sorted. Now I have 4 Wurth Time-Serts in the head, should now be fine.

In the process I have met a quite interesting chap - as well as reconditioning heads he runs several go-kart teams (racing up to international levels) and rebuilds a lot of karts. One thing he is starting to do is run trackdays for people to drive proper karts ( 4 wheel brakes, gears, 30+ bhp), I said I might be able to find a group wanting to give this a go sometime . . . . *biggrin*

A couple more common faults are:

Idle control valve sticking, causing poor idle and cutting out at idle, usually cleared by removal and cleaning out with carb cleaner.

Also heater valves tend to stick open or shut. Fiddley to replace, available on Ebay quite cheap.

Keep an eye on the oil level and front brake pads and disks.

Nice to drive though!!!!

Good luck

Cheers John

JFDI

(Just F*****g Do It)

It has been a long day but I think we've done it *biggrin* Head back on, everything filled up, bolted together, reconnected or whatever it needed and it seems to be just fine. Special thanks to Dave from the IOW for coming over again to help *thumbup*

Just been for a spin and it feels great, I think the brakes need bleeding but what could go wrong with that *wink*

Brakes are notoriously bad on the KA, never seem to feel solid! Rear self adjuster, doesn't seem to work too well. If you apply the handbrake does the pedal feel harder,indicating that the rear shoes are not close to the drum, mine does. Tappet adjustment is different for different engines, should be a sticker on the rocker cover with measurements.

Cheers John

JFDI

(Just F*****g Do It)

Following this I went out today to check the plugs on Mrs C's car and fortunately they came out ok and had been fitted (by me) using copper grease on the threads. I last checked the plugs in the Summer of 2006 (she only does a very low annual mileage) and obviously had the foresight to use copper grease. I normally do but just needed to check so thanks for the heads up. *thumbup*

Brent

(aka Arfur Nayo)

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬

Sounds like a bit of a nightmare, glad you got it sorted. Thus inspired, I went out to look at mine (2000, 2L petrol Pug 406, prob due new plugs). Er, how do I get the cover off? Much fiddling later it comes off, to reveal coil packs but no plugs yet. *confused* I'm sure it will come to bits but I think I need a manual just to warn me of any gotchas en route. What happened to cars where you could recognise most of the mechanical components?