Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Dry sump for VX XE

stevefoster

If any one has a spare system they would sell me.

I would prefer it not to be the caterham bellhousing type or

to be just the pulleys/belts, pump, plumbing and pan and I can get a tank from somewhere else.

Anything considered

Preferably near Surrey, Berkshire, Hampshire borders...

Steve, dont go the bellhousing tank route - too many compromises on the clutch, and when the slave seals go they are a pig with a capital P.

Separate tank's the way to go - tell him fella's

Alan

Don't understand the comment

too many compromises on the clutch, and when the slave seals go they are a pig with a capital P.

The dry sump in the K series (just so's you know I'm not 100% sure what I'm talking about) isn't hydraulic. I'm guessing the reference was to a hydraulic setup?

Shame. I rather thought the cable/fork device on the K dry sump bell housing was a bit of a fudge and should have been a hydraulic one. Peter C has engineered his own hydraulic variant, and maybe one day I'll have a go at something similar.

Couldn't the slave cyl problems on the Vx be sorted with better quality materials? I don't understand why there should be unreliability problems with them? OK, all seals eventually go, but how often should they be investigated do you think?

Anyway, I guess this is getting away from the original requirement for a non-Caterham bell/tank housing. Alex Wong has his situated right in the centre, over the gearbox. Looks the part too.

• 4 weeks later...
The hydraulic clutch on a Vx is to be avoided is a myth. The seals on my slave went recently, after 10 years/22,000miles. Engine out Monday morning, clutch parts collected Redline Tuesday pm and clutch rebuilt, engine in Thursday afternoon, no hassle. Best of all since 1994 the seals have been redesigned (far superior) and I'm fully expecting more than 10years use from them. There is nothing wrong with a hydraulic release bearing.