Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

VX EX dry sump help needed

stevefoster

A few questions to those who have the VX knowledge....

1. Does the SBD VX dry sump kit bolt straight on to a Caterham installation?

2. Would what has been described to me as a Vauxhall Lotus dry sump kit off a Jade VX XE installation fit?

3. If the answer is no to the above, where should I go for a quick supply of a dry sump?

Hope someone can help...

Or even better do you have a serviceable VX XE dry sump kit I could buy or borrow for the race season?

I need one before the 2nd of June...

The hard bit is fitting the tank in. If you shorten the footwell, you can fit a tank there. The Caterham tank is part of the bellhousing. My tank is the one QED supply but with a few minor modifications to fit it above the gearbox where the heater normally sits.

The pump has to go on the drivers side of the engine as the alternator is on the other side - best bet is to use tha Caterham Supplied pump as the fittings are right for it to sit between the block and the engine mount.

Thanks Alex.

I would consider mounting it on the site of a revised pass footwell.

Didn't you have a one off tank made for that?

Do you mean using a mix of QED pump, pulleys etc and Caterham mounting brackets? Did you retain the existing direct drive oil pump?

I take it you used a QED pan?

Sorry for all the questions...

My setup was all sourced from QED apart from the hoses. The tank is the one QED supply which metal mikey modified for me to fit where the heater normally sits. They sold me the same pump as Caterham use (which they have to buy from Caterham - they charged the same as Caterham's list price for this). The pan is the QED one which is good and fits without any problems. Hoses and fittings I got direct from Mocal. The advantages of this setup is that it costs less than Caterhams and doesn't require changing the release bearing mechanism to a hydraulic one.

I've sent you an e-mail detailing the installation.

Steve,

My SBD D/S kit cost me a rod thru the block. If its of the same design as the one I had, (with replacement engine front cover and 3 stage Pace "slim jim" pump, this overall setup is a very bad design.

For simpliclity and reliability for engine with max RPM below 8500rpm the Caterham system with Swindon pressure pump internals is the best option.

Fat Arn

Visit the K2 RUM siteid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>

Edited by - fat arnie on 12 May 2002 19:01:08