Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

To Bond or to bolt??

finmac

Must say I like the bonding idea - only issues was that on my old XFlow years ago one of the wings came adrift (front only fortunately) at about 80mph!

Saying that it was stuck with silicone rather than Sika.

Grubster... What are "bigheads" and where did you use the cable ties please?

• Area Representative

Finlay,

I would always bond them on. Position wings on stays and use a bit of masking tape to show where the stays will be under the wing. Remove wing from car and then apply a very thick bead of sikaflex to the stays and on the underside of the wing. Put the wing back on the stay and use a couple of luggage straps around the wheel and wing to hold some tension on perhaps overnight.

Finally when the initial sikaflex is set, remove wheel and then apply more sikaflex to the joint and smooth it well into the gap and that should do it.

Cheers

Nick

The BEC has gone - now onto an R400!!

Big heads are fasteners (thanks for the picture Charles)that you bond to the wings, these then allow you to attach the wings with cable ties and therefore remove them easily again *thumbup*

Look about 3/4 the way down this page of Charles's build to see how it works. A much discussed topic on blatchat over the years! Some people have experienced failure of the bond - so prep is essential as is a good glue! Mine have stayed on for the last 14000 miles OK (including a number of trackdays) so this method gets a *thumbup* from me.

Thanks guys will do some bonding at the WEnd!

Nick

Finally Got the car last week, delighted with it, its a real credit to Tom who built it/owned it and modified it. When I drove away with it from his house felt I had taken one of his family with me!

Its tucked away in the garage getting carbon fitted at the mo.

How are things with yourself?

cheers Finlay

• Area Representative

Hi Finlay,

Good to have you back in seven ownership again *biggrin* Did you drive it all the way back or to a waiting trailer!

I thought I might have seen you at Julian's last week but I went the next day instead. Cars are both tucked up for the moment and both of them need batteries so I am thinking of the Odyssey ones dependant on price. So at the moment I am running round in the Elise which is brilliant but as it happens, I was glancing through the mags tonight at 911's again!!

Drop us a line with pics of the new car and have a Happy New Year

Cheers

Nick

The BEC has gone - now onto an R400!!